understanding how a digital body fat scale works is key to getting the most accurate reading
A digital body fat scale is one of the newest and easiest ways to measure your body fat. Unfortunately, used improperly or inconsistently it can yield highly varying results and can even give false readings. Continue reading on to see how to properly use a digital body fat scale to get the most consistent readings possible.
How exactly does a digital body fat scale work?
Good question! Technically the digital body fat scale doesn't measure body fat, it measures your body density. It just so happens this density is a good way to deduce the amount of fat on your body.
This kind of scale works by sending a harmless electrical current through your body and measuring the resistance it encounters along the way. This is called Bio Electrical Impedance Analysis or BIA for short. The current will pass much quicker through fat free tissue such as muscle and bone, so by measuring this it can give you a pretty good idea of how much body fat percentage you have.
To get the best results you'll need to program some personal information into the digital scale first, such as height, age and sex.
Here's some tips to get the best results from your digital scale
To get the most consistent results from the scale you'll need to use it the same way every time. Here's what you'll need to do.
- Try to your readings at the same time every day. The results can be skewed by hydration level, perspiration and even how much food you've eaten. I suggest when you get up in the morning, after using the bathroom but before having coffee or your morning beverage.
- Try to position yourself in the same place everytime you use the digital fat scale.
- Of course enter the proper information when you first setup the body fat scale.
- As I said, try not to eat anything before you take a reading.
- Don't drink anything for at least an hour before using the body fat scale.
- Keep the pads on the digital scale clean, also make sure your feet are clean too
- Never workout or exercise before using the body fat scale, the perspiration WILL give false readings.
Used properly and consistently a digital body fat scale will give you good consistent and accurate results every time. Now ladies, you know water retention varies depending on the time of the month so you must account for this. Just follow my suggestions above and don't freak out if the reading are off by a large amount.
Here's an amazingly good and accurate digital body fat scale that does everything right, it's available on Amazon and has very high review touting its accuracy.
If you're looking to buy a digital body fat scale I suggest reading body fat scale reviews on sites like Consumer Search and Consumer Reports and even on Amazon itself. Sites such as these have unbiased body fat scale reviews written by users just like yourself, and they often have the lowest prices listed right there in the reviews. You will of course find many useful links right here on this page too.