Techniques and tips for constructing hexagrams
The BA-BA of the I
Ching or Yi Jing begins with the timing, the choice of question, and the choice
of the method of consultation.
The Chinese are pragmatic people. Few frill and few mysteries in their own way of apprehending the invisible. It is less technical than the act itself that is important for a "random" Yi King. It's your stake in resonance with the energy situation is critical.
At what time does it question the I Ching?
The I Ching found his vocation full when you are faced with a decision to make, or a choice to make, and before whom you cannot decide. Whether for personal, professional advice you miss, you are unable to identify the pros and cons of a situation, and fear of taking the wrong path prevents you from acting in one way or another.
It is also possible that you have no particular questions to ask, you're in a "vacuum" existential interim, and you have no purpose or project. It is possible in this case simply "take the temperature" energy of the moment, which could also enlighten you on why this "void".
Choosing his moment to consult the I Ching
Ask the I Ching implies a connection between the "landscape" of time and energy the questioner. It is advisable to do so at a time when you are quiet and concentrate on your question, when you mind free of daily stress. First session will be a time of meditation good for you, your second reading of the hexagram will be deeper, and you will not risk zapping an important element.
The choice of question
The I Ching is not a book of divination. It is irrelevant to question him about the future. By cons, he explains this, and in fact gives you some keys to know the potentialities of the future, making you the player of your actions, your attitudes and your projects. It's better to have in mind a question about a decision to take or not take, or how it should be taken, or when it should be taken. The question must contain an action verb that you are the subject.
- Avoid asking: "Will my owner accept my proposal?"
- Instead, ask: "What should I do (or what attitude should I have) that my boss accepted my proposal?", Or "Is this the right time to make this proposal to my boss?"
Write your question on a sheet of paper, date it.
The technique of coins
You need three pieces which appear on a 2 (2 or 20 cents, 2 euros for example). The side pieces will value 2, while the opposite face will be worth 3. Just run the pieces like dice, six times. At each roll, record the total. You get 6, 8, 7 or 9. Enter these digits as and launched six parts.
The technique stems of milfoil
You can find these rods (bamboo actually) ready to shop or esoteric bookstores, but you can make with the real yarrow. You can also use wooden skewers, or a game of Mikado. It takes 50 stems.
1. Draw a stick in the pile that you place before you, and you do not earn any more until the end of counting. Cut into two piles. Collect a lot of stick from the right; you get stuck between your pinky and your ring finger. Then take the pile of left hand and remove several times 4 sticks of the heap until it sticks in their hands than 4 rods or less (4, 3, 2 or 1). Place the remainder between the ring and middle fingers. Take the second pile and repeat this operation countdown by 4. Place the remainder obtained between the middle and index fingers. Add the 3 leftovers: this must be 5 or 9. Ask what is waiting on the side.
2. Gather all the strips (except the original rod, and the remaining 5 or 9). Take any manipulation in the same way. The rest must be 4 or 8, place it beside the first.
3. Do the same a third time. The rest must be 4 or 8.
4. Add the three remains: you get 13, 17, 21 or 25. Note that figure on a sheet.
5. Gather the 49 sticks, and repeat 6 times the same operation, recording each time the resulting figure.
With coins or sticks, you are now in possession of 6 digits will be your hexagram. We have to build it in the next lesson...