How to Decide which Hunter Rain Boots to Buy
You can read all the sales blurbs you like, but checking out Hunter rain boots customer reviews are an absolute must to find out what you are really getting. Of course people have different expectations and sized and shaped feet and calves, and that has been taken into account.
Here are the highlights of hundreds of rubber rain boots reviews put into quick summaries with all the positives and negatives given. Here's a quick easy summary for Hunter welly shoppers. The reviews are for the following traditional Hunter Rain Boot models;
- Hunter Original rain boots
- Hunter Original Short rain boots
- Hunter Huntress rain boots
Hunter Original Short Rain Boots
- orthopaedic last for arch support & comfort
- multiple layers of cushioning
- fast drying knitted nylon liner
- ¾ length shorter 10" shaft, 14½" adjustable calf circumference
- 1" Heel and calendered sole for best traction
Highlights of Customer Reviews through Amazon & Nordstrom
- Perfect for cold rainy or snowy weather, good and waterproof
- Short rain boots were perfect for a lady of 5'2" as "the tall boot looked too awkward on me."
- Tall Original Hunter rain boots can fit too tight on the calf, while the short 10" shaft fits many people perfectly
- Problem of with fitting wide calves is eliminated with getting the shorter boot
- there is enough extra calf room to be comfortable with the Short Original Hunter boots
- Despite the rubber being extremely is sturdy, the fit is considered very comfortable
- They run large, so order true to size if you like them larger and order a size down if you like them snug
- People didn't like the fact that the glossy black was more fo a matt black or grey.
- Many said they were marked up or used looking from the wax finish.
- The design was cute but much bulkier then expected
If a ¾ style is what you are looking for or if you have extremely wide calves and want the original narrower orthopedic last, the Hunter Original Short may be the rain boots for you. They also seem to be popular for shorter women where the proportion and overall look was better.
Hunter Huntress Rain Boots
- wider fit orthopedic last for arch support
- cushioned footbed
- flexible rubber U/V protected with wax
- widest calf give room fit for circulation
- 16.5" adjustable calf circumference
- 1¼" heel and calendered sole
Highlights of Customer Reviews Amazon & Piperlime
- For big calves, that can't wear the traditional Hunter rain boots, these are the perfect width and height
- People hesitant on spending so much money on rain boots thought they were "amazing" and "magic", "they do not disappoint"
- They are comfortable easy to slip in and out of boots, more comfortable than the narrower original style
- They have a perfect comfortable fit with lots fo wiggle room
- Plenty of room for tucking in jeans and welly socks
- The Huntress is the boot if you have big calves and don't always fit in knee-high boots
- Matt black was not really black, more of a gray
- Order glossy black if you want a truly black boot
- Glossy boots not glossy but had some white wax on them, some returned for that reason
- The ankle on the boot was very wide and rubber slumped and bunched up there
- and the shaft too narrow
- Definitely too tight if your calve circumference is 16" or just under
- Roomy for the calves, but too big everywhere else including the sole width
- A few did not recommend this style of boot to anyone needing rain boots for wide calves
Again make sure you measure your widest calf width carefully as the Huntress wellie may not be quite wide enough, it seems the Huntress are best option if foot and ankles are wide too. Those who found the Huntress rain boot not wide enough, found the Short original Hunter the best option.
What's the next step?
I hope this guide has helped you narrow the style of Hunter rain boot down to the right ones for you. To go ahead and get the right rain boots you should
- Measure your calf (at widest) and knee height
- Choosing a colour
- Choose finish, matt or gloss.
It seems the Hunter original gloss finish has less of the white wax bloom showing up than the matt finish. The white comes from the wax U/V protective coating being exposed to temperature extremes. In a few of the reviews, people didn't like the white tinges to the surface finish on the wellie boot. A solution for some was the Hunter rain boot cleaning kit for keeping the boots shiny.
Have fun shopping for your Hunter rain boots!