Forgot your password?

I'm Wanted for Non-Payment of Child Support - What Should I Do?

By Edited Nov 22, 2013 0 1

If you are wanted for non-payment of child support and are wondering what you should do, you will have some options. If you are looking for ways to hide out, so nobody can find you, I will offer no solutions, so you may want to push the back arrow now. I'm going to try to convince you to turn yourself in, or make your arrears when wanted for non-payment of child support. Here's my case.

What is the money for?

Many wanted or non-payment of child support tend to be angry with the mother in this whole mess. This is pretty silly, since the money you pay is for your kid, not the parent. The money paid can be used for a number of different things. Rent, heat, food, school expensive and a whole mess of other things can all be purchased with the custodial payments. Many tend to say something like "let me see the receipts of what you bought the kid." This is a ridiculous argument. Everyday life expenses and necessities, like rent and heat, are what the money is used for. Non-payment of child support impacts the living conditions of the kids.

What about my kid?

If you are wanted for non-payment of child support, there's a good chance you are not in the kid's life. This is too bad. It has been proven, over and over that this is an emotionally damaging process for the kids. Step up to the plate and be a man. Those wanted for non-payment of child support are generally not concerned with their kid, because they have no contact with them. Why would you do this? If you were to turn yourself in, you may be able to establish some sort of custodial rights, so you could become a part of your kid's life. Why wouldn't you want to do this?

Can I avoid jail time?

Most that are wanted for non-payment of child support actually have a pay or stay type of stipulation in the warrant. This means that you can typically pay the arrears, and avoid any sort of jail time. Those that are able to pay will likely be able to stay out of jail. You will typically be able to figure out how far behind you are fairly easily. When you are wanted for non-payment of child support, you may not have to go to jail or prison. It really depends on how far behind you are, and how long you have failed to pay.

If you are way behind, too much to pay off at once, you may be able to communicate with the child support agency when wanted for non-payment. Perhaps you can pay a portion now, with increased monthly amount, until the arrears are caught up. Many don't do this, fearing they will be arrested. Those that do, are often surprised to find out how willing the agency is to help out. They are really there to get the money for the custodial parent, not send you to jail. If you are wanted for non-payment of child support, it's really about getting the money the custodial parent and kid need to survive.

One particular state is known for not doing anything when someone is wanted or non-payment of child support. Many people know that the warrants will not be served in this particular state. You should know that pressure is increasing for this to change, and it likely will within the next year or two. When you fall that much farther behind, you increase the risk of extended jail time. When you are wanted for non-payment of child support, it never goes away unless the arrears are caught up. Even if the kid is now an adult, the custodial parent is entitled to the funds.

What if I go to jail?

Those wanted for non-payment of child support do face that possibility, although the courts are starting to be a little more creative. Some will need to sit for a short time, and then find work, so they can get the arrears caught up. Even if you do have to go to jail, you will likely be given Huber privileges. This is really just a fancy term for work release. You won't lose your job, or your ability to earn a living in most cases. The courts have been more interested in getting the money paid up then punishing the person wanted or non-payment of child support. This makes a lot of sense, in many ways. If you are locked up with no work release, how will you gather funds to send the custodial parent? Jail isn't nearly as bad as depicted on television, especially if you have some sort of work release. Best of all, you'll no longer be wanted or non-payment of child support, so you will be able to quit looking over your shoulder when you get out. Many find that is a load of their shoulders.

I'll never pay!!

Those that are wanted or non-payment of child support often take that stance. You should know that in recent years the laws regarding tax returns have changed. Often called a tax intercept, it allows for the taking of your tax returns to go to the custodial parent. If you are wanted for non-payment of child support, you may not have any choice in the matter. You can either send the money the easy way, or it can be taken from you. You know how much you look forward to that tax return. Now imagine if it never comes. You'll have just a small taste of what the custodial parent has gone through.

Final words:

Those wanted for non-payment of child support must realize that the warrant will not go away. Even when the kids become adults, the amount of the arrears do not go down, they only increase over time. Consider turning yourself in, or at least sending in the money you owe. You will find that it's a big weight off your shoulders.



Oct 5, 2009 9:21am
What kind of jail do you go to when you fail to pay child support? Is it a county jail? Are you immediately deported if you are a foreigner?
Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Lifestyle