Search Engine Optimization
Let the World Find Your Website
Today in order to succeed, businesses need to be online. And in order for a business website to thrive online, its webmaster needs to understand what search engine optimization (SEO) is and how to use it in order to generate traffic for the site. Use the tips below to improve your website, whether it's a business or personal site, so that search engines can direct potential readers to your site:
* Be sure to install toolbars that help you to track your page rank. In Firefox there are plug-ins that you can use like SEOquake that check not only the page rank of your site but of every other site that you visit in the browser. Likewise Chrome also offers SEO plug-ins that do the same thing. It's just a matter of you finding the plug-ins you need for the browser you use.
* Identify the keywords you need to focus on. This means that you should be able to generate a set of keywords that when people search for them in Google or in another search engine, they will be able to find your site.
* Be sure to add those keywords you've targeted in your copy on the website. This is part of your on-site or on-page SEO. If you don't use your keywords in your site's copy, you won't be able to attract visitors searching for that info to your site.
* Make sure that your pages and blog posts are all linking to each other when relevant. This helps to build authority in that you have a coherent set of pages or posts that are all connected in subject matter.
* Be sure to generate a site map for your website. If you're using Wordpress as a content management system, you can download a plug-in that will create a site map for you. In order for your site to rank on Google for the keywords you've chosen, you have to make sure that Google knows that you exist. Creating a site map will do this.
* Be sure to use your keywords not only on the main page of your site but also on your inner pages. This is a significant way to create authority for your site.
* One way to improve your SEO is to fill out the alt tags for your photos so that even if the photos disappear there is a description in place that lets the search engines know what should be there or what the present photo is helping to explain.
* Make sure that your content is updated regularly. While you don't have to constantly add to your website, if you never add more content, then the search engines think that your page is dead.
* Use social networking to promote your website. While you would love to have people come to you, promoting your website via social networking is like you taking your site to the people. Your website should be promoted through a Twitter account for example and a Facebook page. There are also many other ways to promote your site using social networking tools and websites.
Because search engine optimization is an important part of doing business online or of representing a business on the Internet, webmasters need to spend time on it. If you spend time on SEO, your efforts will be rewarded.