Not many people enjoy leaving their babies at an infant daycare, but in some instances this is the only way to get by. Some working parents are fortunate enough to have parents of their own or other relatives who are willing to look after their infants while they go and earn a living, but this is not always the case.
It is often traumatic for parents leaving their kids with strangers, especially for the first time and even if that particular person has a very good name for herself. It is just mothers' nature to worry about her kids.
In today's society we really have to be careful about where we leave our children, but if you hear an infant daycare with a good reputation you won't have much of a problem. It has been found that kids who go to daycare turn out to be more independent as opposed to a stay at home mom where children can sometimes develop a clingy attachment.
Infant daycare curriculum and schedule
It is a good idea to have a walk around the daycare centre. Caregivers of most centres will be more than willing to show you around and talk to you about any fears or worries you may have. Ask one of the teachers about the routine. There is usually an infant daycare schedule showing the daily activities.
It might take some time for you to find the right daycare centre that would suit the needs of both you and your infant. Different things are important to different people. For example some people would prefer an infant daycare centre that is close to their work place and others find it important that the centre is close to home.
It will be a good idea to chat to some of the parents whose children are at the centre and see if you get a good feeling about it. If upon visiting you find there is no schedule and the centre does not seem safe or is not clean this is definitely a sign that your baby is not meant to be there.
Infant daycare costs
Costs of different infant daycare can vary. It is not the normal attitude to look for the best "deal" for your child when it comes to someone taking care of them. Infant daycare prices will depend on the area where you are located, how well established it is and what they give. Infant daycare is not cheap, but neither is raising a child so this is something that parents should know.
Infant daycare prices you may be expected to pay can start $3000 to $15,000 a year depending on where you live. You will probably get a discount if you pay all your fees in the first month. The younger your baby is, the more it will cost you because younger babies need extra attention.
What to ask daycare providers
Here are 10 questions you should ask someone who owns a center
- Ask about the education provided and what goes on during the day
- Ask if they are licensed. This is very important. They should hold some sort of qualification.
- Ask about their staff and if they are trained appropriately
- How many babies and kids are at the school and how many teachers are responsible for a certain amount of kids.
- What are their ethics when it comes to disciplining the children. How do they handle different types of behaviour patterns.
- Ask personal questions about how they got into the business and what they like about it. See if their passion shines through.
- Ask about holidays and vacations. Find out if they are closed at certain times.
- Ask for references
- Ask if they have pets and if they drive the kids on outings. If they do ask about the safety.
- Ask about the security and if anything has happened in the past.