Start Sleeping beter today!
Recently, Doctor Oz mentioned on his TV show that about one-third of Americans suffer from sleeping problems, making it one of the biggest health problems in today's society.Insomnia affects our physical, mental and emotional health if it is chronic or if one experiences it for more than 3 months. Some of the physical symptoms of insomnia are fatigue, muscle pains, headaches, weight gain, and weak immune system among others. The most common mental problems are lack of memory and concentration. Some of the emotional symptoms are irritability, stress, food cravings and lack of interest. Long term insomnia can cause many other health problems. Insomnia also affects our ability to perform at work or at school.
But what is the cause of insomnia? In reality, there are many causes for insomnia, so it is important to always talk to your doctor. Some of the most common causes are diseases, medical conditions, alcohol, medications that could interfere with sleep, lack of physical activity during the day, noises at night, etc. But, in most cases, the cause could be psychological. It is important to talk to your doctor if insomnia is affecting your life and your daily activities. There are people who sleep only a few hours but wake up feeling rested and are not affected by the lack of sleep. Others wake up feeling tired and sleepy, if this is your case, then it is important to do something about this problem. When insomnia is due to emotional reasons it is always important to get the help of a professional. Sometimes insomnia is a symptom of an emotional problem that is deeply rooted like anxiety, depression, anger, guilt, sadness, etc.
Hypnotherapy is a holistic approach that could be effective to help people overcome insomnia because it teaches the patient breathing and relaxation techniques that help to reduce stress and worries. In many cases it can help to get to the cause of the problem in the subconscious mind especially if it is a chronic problem. Insomnia can also create frustration and anxiety for those who experience it because insomniacs can dread the time to go to bed and anticipate that they will have to go through another sleepless night. Feel free to check out my Stress Release and Relaxation program which includes a Free Sleep better Hypnotherapy audio.
Here is one of my favorite techniques to relax the mind at night:
Take a deep breath, now imagine yourself at the beach or in your favorite place, now imagine a beautiful white light traveling across your body making you feel safe and secure. Now count back from 20 to 1
Then, say this to yourself, mentally or out loud:
I feel calm, I feel relaxed, I am in control. I am safe and secure. My body relaxes easily. As my body relaxes I begin to experience a feeling of comfort safety and security. I feel calm, I feel relaxed, I am in control. I am safe and secure. (repeat 10 times) You may have to memorize or record this.
Here is a list of many other things that you can do starting today to increase relaxation and to sleep more comfortably and peacefully.
- · G o to bed and get up at the same time everyday.
- · Do not try to force yourself to sleep.
- · Exercise regularly. But avoid exercising just before bedtime
- · Avoid eating too much at night and stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime
- · Drink coffee only in the morning.
- · Avoid alcohol 4 hours before bedtime.
- · Stop smoking!
- · Keep your bedroom in optimal conditions for sleep (reduce noise, keep temperature around 21 degrees, very little light, etc)
- · Take a hot bath to relax.
- · Go to the washroom before going to bed to avoid getting up at night.
- · Drink water 1-2 hours before bedtime.
- · Read or listen to relaxing music. Do hypnosis to relax!
- · Wear comfortable clothing.
- · Avoid watching violent movies.
- · Essentials oils like lavender help to relax.
- · Ask your Doctor if any of your medications could be affecting your sleep.
- · If you take sleeping pills, it is always best to alternate between two different types to avoid getting used to them. Or you can try natural remedies like valerian root tablets.
And more importantly, talk to your doctor and look for a professional with experience and expertise in sleeping problems and learn how to relax both physically and mentally everyday.