Things You Will Need
- A computer, Windows or Mac
- iPhone or iTouch running 3.1.2 firmware (download here)
- Blackra1n (download)
- To install downloaded firmware open iTunes and connect your device. Hold down shift and click restore search the file you just downloaded and select it. Your device will now update to the selected firmware.
- Download Blackra1n for PC or Mac (link above)
- Plug in device
- Open Blackra1n
- Close iTunes
- If iTunes keeps popping up, use CTRL + ALT + DELETE to go to the task manager and kill all iTunes processes which includes iTunesHelper.exe
- Click make it rain
- Your iPhone screen might turn white don't panic it's normal, it will also beep as it connects to your computer
- Once rebooted you will have a Blackra1n icon on your springboard.
- Make sure you have wifi and are connected to your computer.
- Install Cydia from the Blackra1n menu.
- You can now use Cydia to get themes, games, and access free applications.
- You will be able to get themes like Illumine to the
To Install Installous
To get free applications open up Cydia, go to manage on the bottom bar,then sources, then edit, then add, enter "cydia.hackulo.us' once the source is added search for Installous and install. Once you have Installous you can search any AppStore App download and install absolutely free.
To Get Winterboard Themes
To get themes you need Winterboard App available in Cydia. Open Cydia search Winterboard and the scroll down to the w's and install Winterboard. Once installed go to sections then themes. Any themes you download must be applied in Winterboard.If you have any questions please leave a comment. Also if you wish to write articles like this click here.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure your device meets the requirements to use blackra1n. You should have 3.1.2 firmware installed on your iPhone or iTouch. You can find the right software for your device.
- If you want to unlock your phone in the future do not update to 3.1.2
- You'll have to check if your iPod Touch 2G or 3G, 8GB model starts with MB or MC. For MC it won't work, so you should restore it back to the old firmware. It works fine for the ones that start with MB. I guess that should answer most of the issues people are facing with blackra1n.