If you’re leery about using staffing firms to help you find a job, you’re not alone. Many persons wonder why they should use an employment service when they can search for a job on their own. While finding a job can be a challenge, finding a job during hard economic times is even harder. According to the United States Department of Labor, 26.1 million persons experienced unemployment at some point during 2009. Although some of the unemployed persons were able to find work during the same year and in 2010, others are still searching. If you’re among the many that are looking for a job, you need all the leverage you can get. In view of this, you might find it advantageous to consider the advantages of using staffing firms and temp services to help you in your job search.
The Services of Staffing Firms are Free to You
Job seekers often get preoccupied wondering how much the staffing firm or temp agency makes on them. Frankly, that’s irrelevant. When you fill out an application with an employment agency, you put down how much you need to make per hour. Put down a rate that you’ll feel comfortable with. Research your position and find out what employers are paying.
The company will generally contact you only if there are positions available that pay what you’ve requested. Confirm what the hourly rate is before accepting an assignment. If you agree to work for $12 per hour, you’ll receive $12 for every hour that you work minus deductions.
Nothing comes out of your check to compensate the employment company for its services. Staffing firms make money from fees that employers pay. To learn how staffing firms work and make money, refer to the resource section of this article.
Staffing Firms Increase Your Exposure to Hiring Employers
Finding the right employee is time consuming and requires resources. Many employers prefer to leave the placing of ads, screening, reviewing resumes, interviewing and testing to staffing firms. For this reason, you won’t find wanted ads from such employers, even if they’re hiring. Registering with a staffing agency or multiple staffing firms increases your possibilities of finding a job.
Staffing Firms and Temp Assignments
- You can accept a temp assignment if you’re looking for a temporary lob to pay off debt or take care of an upcoming expense. At the end of the assignment, you can stay on the company’s database in case other assignments become available or you simply don’t accept any more assignments. Going through a temporary service gives you the opportunity to make the money you need without having to quit after a few months.
- If you have health problems and cannot work for more than a few consecutive months at a time, you could benefit from temp assignments. You can accept a temp position, work for a few months and then take a break. When you’re ready for more assignments, contact the same company to find out if has any available positions.
- Another scenario where you could benefit from working for staffing firms is if you have to relocate often due to your spouse’s work. In such case, accepting temporary work assignments would prevent you from having to quit your job.
- Another advantage is that you can include the staffing firm’s name on your resume as part of your work history. If you later find a job on your own, you won’t have unexplainable employment gaps.
As you can see, there are numerous advantages in using staffing firms and temp agencies in your jobs search. However, registering with employment agencies is time consuming. Some agencies provide better service than others, so do your research. Contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and inquire about complaints against the firm. It’s particularly important to do this when you’re dealing with a small company that you’re not familiar with.
Copyright © 2011 Ana Jackson. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part constitutes plagiarism, is illegal and strictly prohibited.
- How Do Staffing Firms and Temp Employment Services Work?
- How to Find a Job Through Staffing Firms and Temp Agencies