Are you are teenager and looking for a job? Better still, are you younger than 16 and looking for a job that you can legally take? Or are you a parent looking for a job for teenager so that they don't sit at home playing video games on break and on the weekends? This article is centered on the "tweeners" looking for a job....if you are 14 years old and looking for a job, then you will find this article very interesting.
Jobs for 13 and 14 year oldsCan you legally work in your area?
If you live in the US, you may have seen that most companies won't hire a person who is younger than 14. This is primarily because the law places strict criteria that a company would have to follow if they were to hire a teenager under 14. The good news is that according to the FLSA, you can qualify to work in the United States. Here is the criteria:
- You can only work during non-school hours
- On school days, you are only allowed to work no more than 3 hours per day
- On a non-school day, like holidays or weekends, you are allowed to work a full day (8 hours)
- You can't exceed 18 hours per week during the school year
- You can work full-time when school isn't in session (40 hours a week)
- No late night hours- You can only work between 7 am and 7 pm.
- Delivering the newspaper- Although this job is in a rapid decline with the increase in people reading news online, delivering a newspaper is a perfect job for a 13 or 14 year old with a bike and little time on their hands. The biggest negative to this is you will have to get up very early....in most cases newspaper delivery starts at a very early 4 in the morning. The upside is that you will be finished with your route by 7 and have the rest of your day to do whatever you want.
- Babysitting- if you are a 13 or 14 year old looking for a job, then babysitting may be right up your alley. Typically, babysitting is only a couple hours but the pay is generally better than most of the other options out there. If a 13 or 14 year old can secure a couple jobs, they could expect to make around $8-10 per hour. And the best part is the job comes with a lot of perks....you may have an xbox around. You may have a tv to watch and food to eat while you are working. All things said, babysitting is probably the best job for a 14 year old.
- Mowing lawns- If you have a lawn mower and a little muscle then mowing and landscaping lawns will not only be a great way to make a little extra money but is a great way to get stronger. And the best part is that this job probably pays the best. A lawn that takes a couple hours to cut and care for could net you $40-60. For guys that are 14 years old, this is a great job.
Pet sitting- This isn't quite as lucrative as babysitting but is an easy enough job to secure for a tweener. Basically, you can pooper scoop yards and walk people's dog when they are at work or away.
- Blogging- A new job for a tweener also involves technology. You can write about things that interest you and post it on the internet with a little contextual advertising(kind of like this page). When people click on your ads, you get paid. The downside is that you will have to figure out how to bring traffic to your site. The upside to this is that you are your own boss and some bloggers make more money than a professional job. How cool would it be to make more than your parents?
For more great articles, check out this associatedcontent profile