Keep on top of you housekeeping tasks.
Without meaning to come across as sexist, my wife has come up with a list of housekeeping tasks. By setting yourself a list of jobs to do, you can keep on top of your housekeeping & keep your home in tip-top condition. These jobs range from daily tasks to once a year jobs.
Once a day
- Make beds.
- Pick up clutter.
- Put all dirty clothes into laundry basket.
- Clean bath & shower drains for any clogged hairs.
- Wash dishes.
- Wash & dry dirty clothes
- Empty rubbish bins.
- Disinfect worktops & surface area's in the kitchen.
- Sweep or vacuum floors.
Once a week
- Change bed linens.
- Dust furniture
- Clean bathroom
- Clean kitchen
- Clean toilet(s)
- Check fridge & dispose of any spoilt food items (ideally onto compost heap if you have one)
- Mop the floors
Once a month
- Clean toothbrush & soap holders
- Clean telephone
- Wipe the underside of tables & chairs of greasy build-ups.
- Clean shelves inside the fridge
- Wipe exterior of fridge, dishwasher, washing machine etc.. with a damp cloth.
- Clean items on kitchen worktops (kettle, toaster pan-stands etc..)
- Clean rubbish bins with a disinfectant & place deodoriser in base of bin.
- Clean cooker thoroughly, hobs, oven & splash back areas.
- Check for cobwebs on ceilings & vacuum away if any are found.
Every three months
- Wash or dry-clean quilts, duvets, blankets or bedspreads.
- Wash rugs & shower curtains.
- Wash blinds, shades & curtains.
- Clean insides of windows.
- Rinse walls, mouldings & skirting boards.
- Wipe cabinets, woodwork & any smudge marks off walls.
- Clean/dust fridge coils.
- Polish all metal surfaces & ornaments.
Every six months
- Vacuum mattresses & flip over.
- Empty bathroom cabinets & responsibly dispose of anything that is out of date.
- Clean carpets with a shampoo. You can hire these quite cheaply nowadays or you can get models such as VAX cleaners.
- Empty kitchen cupboards. Dispose of any out-dated food items (compost them if possible).
- Clean the tops of kitchen & bathroom cabinets & cupboards.
- Vacuum or sweep behind large appliances.
Once a year
- Empty drawers in bedroom dressers & vacuum clean.
- Roll up rugs & clean underneath. It's a good idea to air these outside aswell to keep them fresh.
- Clean ceiling fixtures such as light fittings etc..
- Re-seal or wax wooden floors.
- Sort through all paperwork you have accumulated through the past year (bills, bank statements etc..), keep only what you need & shred all those that you don't. Ensure you recycle all paper waste.
- Organise all remaining papers that you need to keep & put them into a suitably labelled folder.
By following the steps, you can go a good way to ensuring your home is kept in a good clean condition. Obviously this list will not be a complete list of jobs you will need to do in your home but it is a good starting point to help you keep on top of you housekeeping tasks.