Christmas season is the time when children should be having fun with their new toys and clothes given by their friends and families as gifts.
However, a lot of children spend their time in hospitals recovering from injuries caused by accidents that could have been avoided if only their parents and guardians were aware of the child safety tips that should be observed during the holiday season.
Because adults are mostly busy preparing for the gatherings and meals shared by families and friends, a lot of children are left unsupervised. There is a high probability that these children will be hurt from mishaps that can be prevented if adults:
- Never leave a child unattended â Adults should never assume that children can take care of themselves especially when there are decorative materials lying around that can harm them.
- Keep burning candles out of their reach â Candles are often used to give off warmth and a feeling of coziness but it can also cause burn injuries. Place them in areas where a child can't reach them.
- Keep flammable materials away from electric sockets and burning candles â Make sure that curtains and fabrics are away from burning candles that can easily be bumped and fall over
- Give gifts that are safe and free from sharp edges â Make sure that the gift you'll give a child will entertain him and help in his development rather than cause trauma. Pick toys that would not aggravate an existing medical condition like asthma.
- Keep children away from the kitchen while something is cooking â Never let a child inside the kitchen as he might sustain burn injuries from a hot oven or from the flames of the stove
Christmas is the time of the year that should be celebrated by everyone, especially children. Assure their happiness by following these safety measures that should lessen the probability of encountering an accident or injury during the festivities.
These tips should raise awareness among adults who are keeping an eye on a child. If the parents are busy preparing food, then, have another adult watch the child instead of bringing him inside the kitchen where he will be injured.
Defective Products Causing Accidents
If your child has been injured because of a defective product, say a toy, then consult with a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer who will help in assessing the damages that should be recovered from the manufacturer or distributor of the product.
Also, these lawyers will help you establish your case and prove that the other party has been negligent in securing their consumers' safety.