All road users are advised to be extra cautious when approaching intersections because these areas are often occupied by drivers coming from different directions. Although there is a high risk of accident at all intersections, the following are considered to be the most dangerous intersections in CA:
- Santa Monica Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills
- Brookhurst Street and Adams Avenue in Huntington Beach
- Watt Avenue and Fair Oaks Blvd. in Sacramento
According to State Farm Insurance, the three are the most dangerous intersections in the state as of 1998. Its findings were based on the number of insurance claims filed by policyholders in that year.
Ineffective Camera Enforcement
Red light cameras are used in order to prevent accidents from happening along intersections. However, a review conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) revealed that a number of deadly crashes that occurred in these areas would not have been prevented by this device. For example, a drunken driver may not care if he receives a ticket in his mail. In addition, a driver who is being chased by the authorities will probably continue to move at an excessive speed though there is a red light camera at the intersection.
Driving while under the influence of alcohol stands as one of the leading causes of accidents along intersections. In fact, statistics revealed that about 20% of deadly crashes are caused by drunk drivers. Aside from alcohol consumption, other causes of accidents include failure to yield the right of way, driver distraction or inattention, and speeding.
Avoiding Accidents at Intersections
Simple driving errors or mistakes can lead to fatal accidents. Fortunately, there are some things that you can do in order to lessen your chances of being involved in an accident while you are traveling along an intersection. The following tips are:
- Refrain from immediately stepping on the accelerator pedal once the light turns green because drivers at the opposite side may fail to stop at a red light or try to make it across the other side at the last second.
- Look at your right and left side before making a turn.
- Watch out for kids, especially if the intersection is located along a school or residential area.