Kombucha tea, has been drunk for thousands of years. It has helped millions of people detoxify there body, as well as enhance their immune system.
Kombucha tea has high amounts of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin c and B. In this article, I will show you how to make Kombucha tea and discuss the health benefits of it.
Little research has been done on Kombucha tea, so most of the known information about the Tea is disputed. Som people believe that Kombucha can help detoxify the body and improve the immune system. Kombucha tea has been known to clean out the body and provide it with much needed vitamins and minerals. It is also believed that the Tea improves stomach acids.
How to make
Kombucha is a mushroom. This mushroom is sometimes called "SCOBY"which means Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast. This mushroom can be purchased at health food stores,online or even from a catalog. A quick search on Ebay should yield at least a few results. You will also need tea. Almost any type of tea will work, black tea,green tea. As long as the tea doesnt have oils like bergamot oils, you should be fine. You will also need sugar. Most sugars work fine. In my opinion refined white sugar works best. For this recipe you will need about 2/3-1 cup of sugar Finally you will need cheese cloth or a fine material to strain the tea. If you get all of these ingredients, you are ready to start making tea.
- Step 1:Bring 3 litters of water to a boil. 3 litters=3.1 quarts.
- Step 2: Add 3-6 tea bags into the water. If you don't want to make really strong tea, than put only 3 tea bags, if you want strong tea, put 6. The amount of tea bags to put in depends on how strong you prefer the drink.
- Step 3: Leave the tea bags in and add sugar. Turn the heat off so that the sugar doesnt caramelize.
- Step 4: Let the tea and sugar sit with the heat turned off for about 30 minutes, the tea has to cool down before you add the SCOBY.
- Step 5:Get a jar ready, put the cheese cloth or fine material over the jar, and secure it in place. Make sure the jar and all materials are clean. vinegar is recommended to clean the jar. DONT USE SOAP! It can be bad for the SCOBY.
- Step 6: Pour the tea into the jar, and than add the SCOBY. Leave the cheese cloth on and put the container in a cool dark place for about a week.
- Step 7: Check the container and if you feel it is ready put a lid on the jar, and put it in the fridge.
Now your tea is ready for you to consume. Hopefully it help you as much as it has helped others. If you do not want to make the tea yourself, you can purchase it at health food store. Whole Foods currently sells a 16 oz Kombucha tea drink for under 5 dollars.