This is Econetics with a guide on how to play Ahri for new players and veterans alike.
In this guide you will learn:
- How Ahri plays and what her strong and weak points are.
- Abilities, how to use them, and specific skill sequences
- Basic builds for Ahri as well as some non traditional ones to include Masteries and Runes
- Lane Matchups
- Tips and Tricks
+ Mobility: Ahri's versatility in the way she can move, kite, and attack is what separates her from other AP carries
+ Gank Potential: Again this ties in with her mobility and CC
+ Auto target Champion Skill: Her Spirit fire will always auto target Champs
+ Nice AP Scaling
- Mana hungry...Pretty much all game. Unless you conserve
- Without Ult you're pretty vulnerable
- Everything is a skill shot so takes some practice
Pretty standard AP carry masteries with a point in for Flash and Ignite as the recommended summoner spells
- Flat Magic Pen Marks
- Mana Regen per level Seals
- AP per level Glyphs
- Flat AP Quints
MR Oriented: A lot of AP carries used to follow an MR oriented build but, with the recent nerf to MR runes it's not as plausible anymore
- Flat Magic Resist Marks
- Mana regen per level Seals
- Magic Resist per level Glyphs
- Either HP or AP Quints
Note about Quints:
As a side note for choosing you're Quints. A decent amount of 1600+ ELO players will contribute at least 1 Quint to Move Speed. The reasoning behind this is that Move Speed itself is one of the hardest things to build for an AP carry. Let's lay it out with numbers. Base move speed in the game ranges from 300-330.
AP Carry champ with base speed of 305 (Ahri's base)
Move speed 1 = 355
Move speed 2 = 375
At 370 a lot of things will outrun you in the game.
DPS Carry champ with base speed of 320
Move speed 1= 370
Move speed 2= 390
Now let's add a Quint for Move speed
AP Carry champ with base speed of 305 (Ahri's base)
Move Speed 1= 355 x 1.015 = 361
Move Speed 2= 375 x 1.015 = 383
It can make the difference between a kill and a failed gank.
On another note you can always build more AP...
- Flash: Amazing spell. Use it to escape, catch up, secure kill, whatever.
- Ignite: Helps secure a kill.
- Teleport: All around useful for getting back to lane quicker, saving a tower, helping a gank etc.
- Ghost: Helps escape, catch up, shorter cooldown than flash
Essence Theft (Passive): Ahri gains a charge of Soul Eater whenever one of her spells hits an enemy (max: 3 charges per spell). Upon reaching 9 charges, Ahri's next spell has 35% Spell Vamp.
- Gives you a decent amount of sustain in lane.
- Once you get added spell vamp it is fairly useful.
- Best way to build charges is hitting a bunch of minions with Orb of Deception. Coincidentally it's the best way to heal as well.
Orb of Deception(Q): Ahri sends out her orb, dealing 40/65/90/115/140(+0.33 per ability power) magic damage, and pulls it back dealing 40/65/90/115/140(+0.33 per ability power) True damage.
Base CD: 7 sec
Cost: 70/75/80/85/90 Mana
- True Damage on the way back so keep that in mind when using it.
- Only use it to hit champs when laning unless you need to charge your passive.
- Great poke and harass.
Fox Fire(W): Ahri releases three fox-fires. After a short delay they lock on to nearby enemies (prioritizes champions), dealing 40/70/100/130/160(+0.38 per ability power) magic damage. Additional fox-fires that hit the same target deal 50% damage [max damage: 80/140/200/260/320 (+0.75 per ability power)].
Base CD: 9/8/7/6/5 sec
Cost: 60 Mana
- It prioritizes champs so it's useful for harass in lane.
- In a team fight it's RECOMMENED to just spam the skill whenever possible
Charm(E): Ahri blows a kiss dealing 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.35 per ability power) magic damage and charming the first enemy it hits, causing them to walk harmlessly towards her for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 second(s).
Base CD: 12 sec
Cost: 50/65/80/95/110 Mana
- Does not go through minions.
- Good CC to lure an enemy champ who over extends into your team.
Spirit Rush (R): Ahri dashes forward and fires essence bolts at 3 nearby enemies (prioritizes champions), dealing 100/140/180 (+0.3 per ability power) magic damage. Spirit Rush can be cast up to three times within 10 seconds before going on cooldown.
Base CD: 110/95/80 sec
Cost: 100 Mana
- Amazing use in either a gank or escaping a gank.
- Using this while constantly spamming Fox Fire does some amazing damage.
- Works on the same concept of Flash IE: if you can flash over a wall you can Spirit Rush over it.
In order of priority R > Q > W > E
1. Boots and 3 Health Pots Or Doran's Ring
2. Hextech Revolver
3. Doran's Ring or Boots (Whichever you didn't get initially)
4. Sorcerer's Shoes or Mercury Threads (situational on how you're doing in the lane)
5. Giant's Belt
6. Rylai's Crystal Scepter
7. Will of the Ancients
9. Void Staff
10. Banshee's Veil/ Quick Silver Sash/ Zhonya's Hourglass
Notes: AD Ahri isn't 100% plausible but, she has her perks. Mainly her charm which will allow you to do massive damage in the amount of CC time.
In order of priority R >E > W > Q
1. Boots and 3 Health Pots
2. B.F. Sword
3. Berserker's Greaves
4. Vampiric Scepter
5. Infinity Edge
6. Phantom Dancer
7.The Black Cleaver
8. Phantom Dancer
Note on Wards:
As a rule of thumb aim for 2 wards every 10 min at the least.
BUY A WARD
STOP A GANK
SAVE A LIFE
Basic Ward Map:
- Brand: Has a bigger range then you and better harass. Kite as best you can and call for ganks often. If he ults you then try to dash away from the minions so that it only hits you once.
- Ryze: If he get's close his burst will take you down easy. Your best shot is constant harass with Q then take him down in a gank.
- Xerath: He out ranges you by a lot. Farm passively and go in when you can when they mess up. As a side note: Early game Xerath has pretty high cooldowns. A good technique is to bait him, dodge his skill, then go in with your own burst.
- Cassiopeia: Huge zoning potential from Cassiopeia. Poke with Q when you can and farm passively. Her low mobility makes her quite easy to gank if she pushes the lane.
- Kassadin: Play passively and farm as best you can. He can easily kite you and his burst will take you down easy. Hope for ganks.
- Swain: His full burst will take you down easy. Don't trade blows with him early game as he will just heal it up. Play passively and hope for ganks. Note: Running ignite is absolutely crucial here to stop his healing.
- Kennen: The damage and escape on Kennen makes him a very difficult matchup. His easy stun as well is a difficult issue to fight against. Good technique is to call for ganks, bait him, and take him down as his E is on cooldown.
- LeBlanc: Trade blows as best you can early and try to win them. If you can build up you can out do her easy. She will have a tendency to roam the map. Don't let her do so. Call for ganks when you can and don't push the lane.
- Ahri: If they're more skilled than you :D.
- Vladimir: Skill based. His sustain is amazing and he can bait your charm with his pool. Your strategy will be roughly the same. Bait his pool. You don't want to trade with him too often because his sustain. Call for ganks.
- Morgana: Dodge he binding and bait her shield. Like LeBlanc she likes to roam...prevent her from doing so.
- Anivia: If she catches you in her stun she can burst you pretty hard. On the other hand Anivia is quite slow so she's easy to kite. At 6 should be when you can burst her easy.
- Veigar: Veigar is tricky as he can be either really good or really bad. Try your best to outfarm him and harass as your range is bigger. Trade smart and you should be fine.
- Zilean: Try to play passively till 6. Post 6 is where you will shine and kill him after you built up some HP and AP. Note: If you charm right before you kill him he wont be able to use his ult.
- Malzahar: Wait for his Cooldowns on his spells to trade with him. He has pretty much no trade so you can win if you play smart. His combo is devastating though so watch out. He has pretty much zero escape so gank when you can with your jungler.
- Sion: Wait for his shield to go off then harass. You also out range his so use that to your advantage to avoid his stun.
- Ziggs: Kite around his Bouncing Bomb the best you can. Ziggs is mana hungry pretty much all game so bait him to waste his skills. Easy to kill post 6 due to your mobility with ult.
- Annie: Watch her passive stacks, try to poke her with your Q. Try your best to predict when she will ult and use your ult to get away.
- Ahri: Errr....whoever is the better player/ has a better jungler. Call for ganks often to instill fear and make the other Ahri play passively.
- Katarina Easy to harass with your Q and ranged auto attacks. You can charm her out of her ult or just escape using your ult.
- Twisted Fate: Avoid his cards and wait for his stun to go on cooldown and poke him down. Very easy to burst post 6.
- Orianna: Avoid her skills and burst onto her. She's sorta limited when she's jumped upon.
- Karthus: Avoid Q early game and harass. He has little to no escape so it should be easy to burst him down at 6. Note: Avoid his wall at all costs. The damage he can do if you pass through it will take you down. Also you can charm him to cancel his ult :D
- Heimerdinger: Farm as best you can and just utilize your passive to outsustain him. Easy to burst down if turrents are taken out.
- Ahri: If they're a worse player then you are :D
Tips and Tricks:
- Use Charm to check bushes.
- Use Charm to cancel channeled ults :D
- When running from the enemy champ use Fox Fire whenever you can as it will slowly whittle then down allowing you to take them down by surprise or your team to help out.
- Your ult works like a triple flash. Use that to kite champs and juke them as best you can.
- Skill combos: Charm, Orb of Deception, Spirit Rush, Fox Fire, Spirit Rush, Spirit Rush, Ignite, Orb of Deception, Dead :D
I plan to make this a series and go through all the champions in League of Legends. Thanks for reading and feel free to make comments and criticisms. Hope you all enjoyed reading this and hopefully it has helped your gameplay.