When you think about actually painting your kitchen cabinets, it is really simple, but the whole process will take longer than you imagined. Of course, that depends on the number of cabinets you have. One spends a large percentage of the time taking each door off and then putting it back again, and to do a good job you basically have to do this.
Here is what you will need
- Oil based paint or an acrylic latex
- Angled brush or a paint sprayer
- Medium and extra fine sand paper
How do I paint kitchen cabinets?- Let's begin
- First of all, remove the doors and drawers. Make sure your countertops are protected with plastic so they are not going to be covered with chemicals. Wear gloves from now on, because this is where you will be working with substances that could irritate your skin. This especially applies to those with sensitive skins.
- Wipe the cabinets down with the degreaser
- If you have old cabinets you want to paint, then you will probably see a ding or two. This is where wood putty is useful. Fill in anything with this and then start sanding them down – you are going to go with the medium sand paper.
- Once you have done that, clean away the sawdust with your cloth. Dust is not a good thing when you are painting. Clean up what you can around you with a broom as well.
- Now you can apply your primer. There is a method to this – you have to go against the grain, unlike sanding, however, you will switch over to going with the grain as well. You have to wait until this is dry before you go any further.
- Once this has dried, you are going to use the fine sand paper to make this look even smoother. This will take away any uneven strokes from the primer. Again, wipe away the remaining sawdust once you have finished with this stage. There must be nothing on the cabinets or the area that you are working at. Give the floor a good sweep again.
- Go back and repeat the preparation with primer and sanding again – just the extra fine sanding. The preparation is a lot more important than the actual painting, so if you skip this step, then your cabinets are not going to look as great.
- Now, you are going to start painting. It is recommended to start with the back panels, and you are going to go with the grain, applying the paint carefully. It should be dry when you touch it before you think of turning it over. Once you have painted everything, you can start on the actual cabinets, while you are waiting for the doors to dry.
- Once dry, it is time to add a second coat, which is just done in the same way as the first coat.
- This is not a quick drying procedure. It will take up to 2 days, so make sure that they are completely dry before you start knocking them in again.
Colors to paint kitchen cabinets
You may have a favourite color, but you also have to look at what kind of décor you have already in your kitchen. There are colors that can do a lot for your mood. Someone who is keen on baking and cooking won’t necessarily want to go for black.
Colors can also do a lot for the size of the kitchen, so if you have a small kitchen, then you may want to bring it out with a certain color – one of the cooler colors will do nicely here.
If you do a survey, people will no doubt come back saying that most of their cabinets are painted white. This is definitely timeless and you know it is not going to clash with anything.
photo credit: flickr.com/photos/charles_hudson/5432639653
If you want to introduce a specific theme, you can definitely do this with a specific color. For example using cool pastels will help create that cottage look. However, if you went brighter, then your kitchen may appear to be more retro. Black adds to the modern look and feel.
You have to think long term as well when choosing your colors, so you have to make sure that it is going to be right for you at the end of the day. Black may look good at first sight, but it does have the tendancy to close you in, and for someone who is looking for inspiration and creativity in the kitchen, this is not always the best thing. These are some of the questions that you have to ask yourself.
What Else You May be Interested in
The Most Durable Kitchen Countertops - This is an important step in remodeling or kitting out a new kitchen. Find out what the best rated and most durable countertops are.
8 Steps to Small Kitchen Organization - Do you have a small kitchen? Find out how to bring it out to the best of your ability without spending a fortune.