Cooking is like driving a car, the best way to learn to cook by doing it. Learn to cook by trying out a few recipes. Learn cooking techniques as you do follow the recipes.
It is important to remember that recipes, except cake, pastry and bread recipes are infinitely variable. There is no ONE recipe for Irish Stew or Lasagne. Do not worry if you are short a herb or a sauce, use something else instead, or just leave it out. Learning to cook should be an enjoyable and rewarding part of your life, rather than a stressful one.
Learn to Cook Breakfast
Boiled eggs and toast fingers
- Put the eggs in cold water in a pan. Bring it to the boil, time how long the eggs boil for. Do them for 5 minutes the first time. If they turn out too hard then do them for 4 minutes next time.
- Put sliced bread in toaster, butter and cut into fingers to dip in your egg.
Poached eggs on toast
- Boil a pan of water. Crack eggs into glasses, two eggs per person, one glass per person. Have bread in toaster ready to start. Make tea
- When the water is boiling, carefully pour one glass of two eggs into the water
- Start the toaster
- Leave the water to boil. It will take about 45 seconds to come back to the boil
- Toast will take about 2 minutes
- When the toast pops up, put more bread in to toast
- Butter the first toast.
- Remove the first two eggs with a slotted spoon and place on the buttered toast
- Put the next two eggs in the pan of still boiling water
- Pour tea
- Butter next lot of toast
- Remove the second two eggs with your slotted spoon and serve
Scrambled eggs on toast
- Put 4 eggs into a jug, whisk (stir them up fast) with a fork. Add milk so your mixture is two thirds eggs and one third milk. Whisk it up some more
- Make tea
- Put bread in the toaster, ready to start
- Put a teaspoon of butter in a non-stick pan and heat it on the cooker
- When the butter has melted and is hot, pour in the egg and milk mixture. DO NOT STIR
- Start toaster
- After 1 minute, GENTLY lift the egg up with an fish slice or spatula. Let the uncooked egg go underneath to cook
- After 1 more minute take the egg pan off the heat
- Butter the toast and pour tea
- Put the eggs back on the heat and stir SLIGHTLY with your fish slice. Heat until the eggs are almost solid, but still shiny. Serve (with chopped chives for a haut cuisine effect)
You can stir the eggs instead, but you get eggs with a totally different texture. Try them both ways
Learn to Cook - Make Your Own Chicken Stock
Chicken stock is really easy to make and free. All you have to do is to boil up a chicken frame or carcase (the bones) when you have cut all the meat off it. Just use 2 cups of water and boil it gently, with a lid on for one hour. Throw the bones away and keep the stock in the fridge or freeze it. Next time you make soup, use the chicken stock instead of water.
Learn to Cook Lunch
Toasted Cheese Sandwiches with bacon
- Butter two slices of bread. The buttered side will be on the outside of your toasted sandwich
- Put bacon rashers under the broiler (grill) until they are crispy, but not burnt
- Thinly spread made mustard over the inside, unbuttered slices of bread. Cover with sliced or grated cheese. Grind black pepper all over the cheese. Put the grilled bacon on top and top with the other slice of bread, butter side out.
- Carefully put the thick toasted sandwich under the broiler (grill) to brown. You may need to lower the shelf to fit in your sandwich.
- Turn your sandwich over using a fish slice and cook the other side. The second side will brown in about 10 seconds, because the broiler (grill) is so hot.
- Drain a tin of any kind of beans, borlotti beans, butter beans, haricot beans, whatever you have in. Rinse them in a sieve until there is no more froth.
- Put the beans in a pan
with 2 cups of water.
- Chop an onion and a potato and add them to your pan.
- Add a stock cube and boil your soup for 30 minutes
Learn to Cook Dinner
- Chop 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic
- Put 1 can of baked beans (navy beans), 1 can of tomatoes and 1 pound of minced (ground) beef into a pan. Add 2 beef stock cubes.
- Chop 2 dried chillis and WASH YOUR HANDS. Do not touch your eyes or any other sensitive parts of your body until you have washed all traces of chilli off your hands
- Heat the pan until it boils, then transfer to a large oven-proof casserole dish. Heat it at 1800C, 3500F for two hours.
- Serve with crusty bread and a salad, with lots of cold beer
Easy Chinese Chow Mein
- Chop one onion, 1 bell pepper and 2 sticks of celery
- Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a large frying pan
- Fry the onion, celery and pepper until soft
- Add a cupful of cooked beef or chicken and continue frying
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to the boil
- Boil for 5 minutes
- Add half a pack of egg noodles and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Chop 2 onions and 3 cloves of garlic
- Fry the onion sand garlic over a high heat
- As they begin to soften add a heaped tablespoon of HOT curry powder
- Stir the mixture and continue frying on maximum heat until your eyes sting and the curry powder burns. (You really need a gas cooker to get the oil and curry powder hot enough)
- Add 3 cups of water and 2 fish stock cubes
- Leave to boil gently (simmer) for one hour
Boil a fresh pan of water and 15 minutes before serving add basmati rice. When the rice starts to boil, put the lid on and turn off the heat
When the rice is cooked, drain it and leave in a sieve to finish draining
Add the fish to the curry. Bring the mixture back to the boil and boil for 5 minutes, 10 minutes if you are using frozen fish
Serve with cold beer