Low income internet service is not a scam. Its a reality allowing for low income people who need high speed internet to get online cheaply. This wonderful initiative promises for a reduction on the digital divide, which really displaces poor families as high speed internet becomes widely rolled out and improved upon.
Comcast’s program allows you to get up to 1.5 Mbps speeds in your home, provided you live in the Comcast coverage area and meet eligibility guidelines.
Typically, guidelines, under this program require that you are receiving state or federal aid, like the free lunch program. Another option is to sign up for free internet service providers like Juno or NetZero.
Comcast cable came to the forefront recently to provide their Internet Essentials program. This is actually one of the only internet providers which have a cheap internet service specifically designed for poor people who could normally not be able to afford the internet. In fact, at the time of this publication, the monthly price for the service is $9.95 a month.
The Comcast program promises that you will never have any price increases, activation fees or equipment rental fees. Of course there are other requirements, but they are simple, easy and straightforward.
Here they are at a glance:
Comcast Internet Essentials for Low Income Internet
- You must be located in an area served by Comcast.
- Have at least one kid in your home receiving free or low cost lunches.
- Must not have subscribed to Comcast internet in the last 90 days.
- You cannot have an overdue Comcast monthly bill or equipment that is unreturned
How to Apply to the Comcast Internet Essentials Program
- Call the toll free number 1-855-846-8376 for an application.
- An application will be mailed to you. You must fill the application out and provide proof that your child is in a free lunch program. This is typically a document that you can easily obtain from your child’s school or through a state agency. Provide Comcast with the documentation.
- You will be notified in 7-10 days on your approval.
Other perks for this low income internet program is also a low cost computer though this company. That’s right you can get a computer for $149.00 at the time of activation, if you are approved for this program. You’ll also get computer training, online, in print or even in person.
It’s important to note that you do also have other options when it comes to low cost or even free internet. Netzero and Juno offer free internet services, however it’s through dial up. Of course, this is significantly slower than DSL, but it could work in a pinch if you are looking for other free or low cost internet providers.
Also remember that AT&T, Qwest and Verizon offer different packages of internet services with affordable packages. Also you may want to inquire about what they have for low income people.
It’s also important to note that though Comcast was one of the first providers to have low cost high speed internet, other carriers are considering the option to roll out similar programs in their area as well.
Keep on the lookout for similar low income internet service providers.