Nearly everyone has had lower back pain sometime in their life and has desired lower back pain relief. Statistics estimate that severe back pain is number two in the most common forms of neurological problems in the U.S.
This devastating problem is something that causes everything from missing days at work to severe conditions that cause permanent disability. Therefore, it is vital to find methods of lower back pain relief.
What Causes Severe Back Pain?
If you are suffering from back pain symptoms, then you will need to first see your doctor to make sure that your problem is not caused by some sort of injury or other condition. There are several lower back pain causes that could be the reason for the severe back pain you are experiences.
These causes include the following:
- Injury or overuse of the back muscles
- Pressure on the spinal nerve caused by a herniated disk
- Pain due to osteoarthritis
- Spine deformities such as scoliosis (curvature of the spine)
- Spinal Stenosis (narrow spinal canal)
- Spondylolisthesis (defect that causes overlapping vertebra)
- Spinal fractures
- Poor posture
- Spine tumors
- Infections in the area of the spine bones
What are back pain symptoms?
If you are suffering from severe back pain, then you are most likely feeling some of the following types of back pain symptoms:
- Muscle Pain
- Limited range of motion
- Can’t stand up straight
- Radiating pain down spine and legs
- Stiffness or pain after lifting something heavy
If these symptoms of severe back pain last for more than a few days, then it is considered to be a more severe case of acute back pain symptoms and you will need to go to your doctor to get some advice on lower back pain relief.
What forms of lower back pain relief exist?
There are a wide range of prescribed lower back-pain relief methods that you can use if you are suffering from severe back pain. These range from physical therapy in the form of stretches for lower back problems to taking pain medications or using a heating pad to undergoing other alternative treatments. These may include:
Studies have shown that acupuncture can act as lower back-pain relief. Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine that uses special needles placed in strategic areas of the body in order to block pain. It is believed that the needle punctures result in a release of natural opioids in the body that relief severe back-pain due to sending out signals that calm the pain signals in the nervous system.
Electronic spinal stimulation
– Lower back-pain relief can sometimes be achieved by using what is called a TENS unit. This sends electrical impulses into the body at varying degrees and intensity and this helps to relieve pain through nerve stimulation.
—Injections into the back are usually a combination of a steroid and some kind of numbing agent. They don’t help all kinds of severe back-pain, but can provide temporary lower back pain relief for problems like Spondylolisthesis.
– Various types of back surgery is used if the severe back-pain is caused by a spinal defect or fracture or other fixable condition.
Stretches for Lower Back Pain Relief -
Your doctor may also send you to a physical therapist who will teach you some stretches for lower back-pain relief. These can also be done along with some of the above therapies for best result for lower back pain relief.