MY DESIGNER COFFEE POWDER.
I CALL IT GINGER COCOA
- 1 kg raw coffee beans
- 500 g fresh ginger, cleaned and cut
- 100g barley seeds
- 100 g fenugreek seeds
- 150 g coriander seeds
- 50 g cumin seeds
- 10 cardamom, skin removed
- 2 nutmeg seeds
- 5 cocoa seeds
- In a wok put the coffee beans and the cleaned and cut ginger.
- Make sure that your kitchen in properly ventilated as coffee beans produce lots of smoke.
- You should keep stirring the coffee beans so that it gets roasted evenly.
- After 5 minutes of roasting you will hear cracking sounds and now is the beginning of the smoke era, So switch on your hood fan.
- Keep roasting till you get a color a shade or two lower than the color you desire.
- Turn off the flame and put in the other ingredients. Barley, fenugreek, coriander. cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and cocoa seeds.
- These seeds will get roasted in the heat of the beans and help in reducing the heat of the coffee beans so that over roasting is prevented.
- High roast results in high flavor and low roasts result in low flavor. We should make sure that the coffee is not OVER ROASTED as this will make it bitter. So those of you for whom this is the first time, Turn off the flame when the coffee starts to blacken.
- Roasting for 14 minutes is perfect but this depends on the coffee bean that you are using so please read the instruction on the coffee bean bag.
- After you have put in all the ingredients now powder it.
- Sieve it.
- Grind it again and sieve it again, till all the chips are now powder.
- Well, your coffee powder is ready. Hurry up boil some water to make YOUR coffee and to take the first best sip.
- Oh and please do name your coffee powder and you will not be able to explain the whole process to all your greedy coffee drinking visitors.
- I name mine GINGER COCOA. Don't forget that you can vary the ingredients to suit your taste.
Health benefits of coffee and the ingredients in my recipe
Let us firstly remember that too much of anything is good for nothing. The benefits that I have mentioned below are when consumed moderately.
- Coffee has cancer preventing abilities and it lowers depression.
- It also reduces the chance of type 2 diabetes, Parkinson and dementia.
- It tops the list of nausea or motion sickness and upset stomach curers.
- Ginger reduces the pain of those suffering from arthritis, head aches and migraine.
- Barley is known for reducing high sugar level, hypertension, constipation, obesity, kidney problems and heart disease.
- Barley prevents gallstones, asthma and atherosclerosis.
- It reduces the cholesterol in the blood.
- Fenugreek cures sore throats and coughs and also enhances hair growth.
- Coriander prevents urinary tract infections and relieves intestinal gas.
- Rich in iron, magnesium and flavonoids.
- Helps in digestion and cures wounds in the excretory and digestive system.
- Cumin also treats weak memory and increases level of concentration.
- Cardamom freshens your breath, cures throat inflammation and also clears your voice during a cold.
- It cures heart burn and eases stomach cramps.
- It has antibacterial properties that can rid the body of harmful bacteria.
- It is also believed to help cure skin disorders like acne and eczema.
- These beans are well known to cure fatigue, angina and heart pain.
- Believe it or not cocoa prevents aging signs setting in. Cures skin damages and dark spots.
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT CUP OF COFFEE
- Having good coffee powder is essential. You can make coffee using the best coffee machine but if you are going to use a bad blend then your cup of coffee will only be good to water your plant. One easy of seeing if your coffee powder is rich is to make you own blend. There are many good brands of coffee and most of them are household names let’s keep that aside and talk about enjoying your coffee to its fullest.
The amount of coffee powder that you should use per cup is two tablespoon. Math geeks out there..
2 tbsp. coffee powder + 1 cup (6 oz.) water = A perfect cup of strong coffee
You can sweeten your coffee with some sugar of your choice.
You can always buy good roasted coffee beans from stores, but buying it from the roaster is better. Now you should make sure that your coffee beans are fresh from roasting. Buy your beans in small batches to ensure that your beans are full of flavor and aroma. These must be blended at the time you are making your coffee, exactly on time. Coffee soon loses flavor once ground so let us try to obtain as much as possible by grinding 5 tablespoons of coffee beans per cup. This can vary with your taste.
- Coffee is 90% water so the water, so the taste of your coffee heavily depends on the kind of water that you use. A good cup of coffee needs fresh filtered water, distilled water being the worst for coffee. When making coffee use very hot water, that is not boiling.
If you are using tap water then it's better if you filter it. Tap water usually gives a rustic, chlorinated or alkaline taste.
- Your coffee pot can contribute to this as well. If you are using kettles to boil your water or water boilers then make sure that the kettle of boiler is squeaky clean. The coffee pot can get a rusty look due your water this can change the taste of your water.
Should I teach you to enjoy your coffee? of course not. But follow these rules so that you can help yourself enjoy your coffee.
You should drink your coffee as soon as you make it i.e. you should brew your coffee at the exact time you will drink it.
Coffee should be slurped rather than drunk. You know the way you sip with a noise. This will enhance your coffee experience as slurping makes the coffee reach every part of your tongue at the same time. All your taste buds are activated at the same time.
In short, this is the way I make coffee without a coffee machine
- Boil water and let is settle for 3 seconds.
- Put 2 tbsp. of coffee and 1 tsp. of sugar into a cup.
- Pour water in it.
- Use a filter to filter your coffee into you mug. (Filtering is essential as homemade coffee might sometimes have coarse grounds that we like to remove from our drink)
- Let it settle for 5 seconds.