Although there are lots of discussions about exactly where pizza in its simplest form came, it is basically linked with the Italian City of Naples. From a simple street food that is richly flavored and quick to being one of the most famous foods today, pizza as we know today was not always round and flat, it was folded like a book with all the fillings tucked inside.
There are lots of varieties of pizza today, but perhaps the most known is Napoletana. Consists of a thin dough crust topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, anchovies, Olives and oregano and when baked the fusion of the flavors blend perfectly producing that distinct and aromatic pizza.
How do you make your own Pizza?
Making your own pizza may consume time but it’s actually easy, thanks to the countless combinations of bases and toppings that can be served to suit your taste and preference. To start off, one has to have a crust for the pizza. There are actually lots of ready made pizzas available in groceries, but nothing beats making your own dough. To make your own dough, you will need the following:
- Fresh yeast
- Tepid water
- Olive oil
- Plain flour
- When using fresh yeast, combine yeast with water and sugar, let it stand in a warm place for about 15 minutes until it becomes frothy. Stir in olive oil and mix thoroughly until it looks smooth.
- In a separate container, sift the flour and salt, however if you are using the easy blend yeast, you can mix the yeast together with the flour and salt. Put a hole in the middle, pour in the yeast liquid.
- Mix together using your hands, knead thoroughly for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bag and put it in a warm place or airing cupboards for an hour.
- After the dough doubled its size, turn the dough and “punch” it to release air bubbles, knead again 5 times. The dough is now ready to use.
To make your own pizza, just follow the instructions above and add your favorite toppings and tomato sauce. To make the basic Cheese and Mushroom Pizza you will need the following:
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh parsley
- Tomato purée
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Flattened the dough in a floured surface. Let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a heated pan and sauté the garlic, parsley and mushroom. Stir until garlic turns golden brown.
- Mix the purée and the passata. Spoon on to the dough, leaving some space on the edge. Spread the mushroom mixture on top of the purée and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a preheated oven, bake your pizza for about 20 minutes or until the crust is brown.
- Chopped remaining parsley and garnish. Serve hot.
Once you get to master making basic pizza you may try experimenting with different base and toppings.