Pregnancy is one of the most joyous times in a woman's life. The last thing a mother should have to worry about is getting good quality healthcare. Sadly, before the implementation of the Affordable Care Act signed into law in March 2010 by President Barack Obama, many women have had to deal with outrageous hospital bills after delivering their bundles of joy. Also, because of the lack of availability of good health insurance for mothers who are already pregnant, there is has been an increase in fetal illnesses and deaths because of the lack in proper medical care.
Most women who are pregnancy and don't have health insurance find themselves in that position because the make too much money to qualify for government assisted medical insurance or they have been denied coverage because pregnancy is just too expensive for the health insurance companies to cover. They therefore classify pregnancy as a "pre-existing" condition.
In 2014, all insurance companies will be required to cover "pre-existing" conditions so getting insurance while you are pregnant will not be a problem then. So what do you do between now and 2014? Today thanks to the Affordable Care Act, there are a couple of options that will afford you good quality healthcare for you and your baby that will not leave you bankrupt. Between the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) and the Hill Burton Facilities, you can get the maternity health coverage you need in all 50 states.
According to the PCIP Website:
- "The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan makes health insurance available to people who have had a problem getting insurance due to a pre-existing condition.
The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan:
- Covers a broad range of health benefits, including primary and specialty care, hospital care, and prescription drugs.
- Doesn't charge you a higher premium just because of your medical condition.
- Doesn't base eligibility on income."
Go to the PCIP website and follow the directions on how to apply. You can apply by phone, online or by mailing the application from through the mail.
To apply by phone call:
- You can reach the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan at 1-866-717-5826: (TTY: 1-866-561-1604)
- Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan regular hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to11 p.m., Eastern Time.
To Apply by mail
Go to the website and download the form. Fill it out and mail it to:
National Finance Center
Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan
P.O. Box 60017
New Orleans, LA 70160-0017
Each state has a PCIP program so you don't have to worry about not getting coverage during your time of need. You cannot be insured by another health insurance company and you have to be without insurance for at least 6 months to qualify. Call PCIP to get all the details about the qualifications time frame for your particular situation.
Visit one of the Hill Burton Facilities in your city or state and apply with them. You will need to show proof of income for these facilities.