Melissa and Doug have been making toys for over 20 years. Their products are both durable and timeless. They remind me of the toys that I pulled out of Grandma's toy chest when I was a boy.
These toys are made with the young child or toddler in mind. They are not made to attract the attention of the parents.
Another thing I like about Melissa and Doug toys is that they don't have any little pieces that can come off and cause all kinds of terrible problems. These toys are made to be played with by infants, toddlers and young children. They were also made with safety in mind.
Here is a partial list of wooden toys that Melissa and Doug have available to young children.
- Melissa and Doug Classic Stacking Train, recommended for children ages 2 and up. This sturdy, wooden train has an engine and two cars. There are 15 pieces that can be stacked onto pegs. The three cars are 18 inches long when put together.
- Melissa and Doug Wooden Shape Sorting Clock, recommended for children ages 3 and up. This colorful wooden clock has 12 wooden blocks, each with a number and a different shape. The blocks fit into a slot and the clock has moveable "hands."
- Melissa and Doug Take Along Tool Kit, recommended for children ages 3 and up. I remember having a wooden tool box like this one back in the 1970's when I was a boy. This comes with an old-style tool box and 24 wooden accessories such as tools, nails, screws and nuts.
- Melissa and Doug Shape Sorting Cube, recommended for children ages 2 and up. This wooden toy has 12 colored chunky shapes that are designed to be inserted into corresponding shaped holes in a cube. A loud clink sound happens once a block is inserted into the cube. Then the top can be taken off and the blocks taken out.
- Melissa and Doug Pound and Roll Tower, recommended for children ages 2 and up. This is a fun toy that I might buy for myself. It has 4 round balls that are designed to be pounded with the included hammer through holes. After the balls are pounded through the child can watch them roll down a series of ramps.
- Melissa and Doug Pound a Peg, recommended for children ages 2 and up. This is another classic toy that all of us grew up with. The child pounds the pegs with the included hammer and then the base can be turned over and the pegs can be pounded the other way.
- Melissa and Doug Lacing Sneaker, recommended for children ages 3 and up. This wooden sneaker was created to allow children to practice lacing up and tying their shoes.
- Melissa and Doug Rainbow Stacker Toy, recommended for children ages 1.5 years and up. This is another one of those toys that all of us grew up with. Every color of the rainbow is represented here, this rocking and stacking toy is a great way to practice hand and eye coordination.
- Melissa and Doug Basic Skills Board, recommended for children ages 3 and up. The wooden bear on this board helps children master skills such as zipping, snapping, buckling, lacing and tying.
- Melissa and Doug First bead Maze, recommended for children ages 1 and up. This twisting maze features beads of different shapes and sizes that slide along wire paths.
- Melissa and Doug Stacking Construction Vehicles, recommended for children ages 3 and up. Three chunky construction vehicles are included with removable parts that can be interchanged and stacked.
Melissa and Doug wooden toys have been a standard in childrens' toy boxes for two decades now. They are as durable as they are timeless. I am sure that my children's grandkids will also play with Melissa and Doug's wooden toys.