One of the biggest events on the Veluwe, the Netherlands in the winter is the yearly returning Midwinter Marathon. If you want to learn what this is you first need to learn a little bit about the Veluwe and the city where this all held place, called 'Apeldoorn'.
The Veluwe is one of the most green place in the Netherlands with a lot of forest, beautiful landscapes and idyllic villages. Nothing fancy, nothing compared to bigger nature countries, but for the Netherlands this is actually a big deal. If you are looking for big forests in the Netherlands, you have to go to the Veluwe.
And every year there is the Marathon of Apeldoorn, called the Midwinter Marathon. This running event is held on February 5th and there will be different distances to run for all types of runners.
Why should you participate in the Midwinter Marathon Apeldoorn
If you are looking for some running while you are in the Netherlands I would definitely recommend the Midwinter Marathon. A couple of reasons.
Running in the nature. Yes, this means trees.
I am not entirely sure why, but somehow most of the marathons are held through cities. New York, Rome and Amsterdam are all marathons which lead you through the city. The Midwinter Marathon Apeldoorn makes you run through forest and shows you the most beautiful places of the Veluwe. You run on dirt instead of the street (at least, most of the time), you breath in fresh air and you can look around you and see interesting things! For me, a guy who lives on the Veluwe, this is a big deal and a reason to participate.
Loolaan, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Something for every type of runner
Whether you are a starter or a more experienced runner, there are different distances for all types of runners.
- Centraal Beheer Achmea Midwinter Marathon: The actual marathon. 42 kilometers (yup, we count in kilometers over here). A big run which will take you hours.
- Helicon Asselronde. Only 27.5 kilometers but still a big run for most of the people. This is for experienced runners who are thinking about running a marathon and need some training. Maybe this distance even fits in your schedule if you are training for an actual marathon.
- Hollander Techniek Mini Marathon. 18.5 kilometers, but still a great run to do. I participated in this run last year and you are guided in a nice round and untrained you will probably die during this run! But you will like it that much you will do it again anyway! (Yeah, I am talking about me over here)
- Achmea Health Centers 'Acht van Apeldoorn'. If you know Dutch you will recognize the word 'acht' which means eight! Only 8 kilometers and there are a lot of competitive runners who are participating in this run. The trained runners will easily run this distance within an hour and this makes it interesting if you want to push yourself to a limit in a run.
- De Stentor Kidsrun. Kids only. You have to be between 4 and 14 if you want to be in this race and it is only 1 kilometer long. This run is more for inspiring young kids than actual competition. This is the type of run where you see the kids running and the parents right next to them on the other side of the fence.
Loads of fun in the Netherlands
I see this as a typical Dutch event. There is a lot happening around this event and there are a lot of people who participate or come to cheer.