Does mindfulness based stress reduction work to reduce stress and anxiety? Couldn't I just take yoga lessons instead?
WHAT IS MINDFULNESS-BASED STRESS REDUCTION?
Mindfulness based stress reduction (or MBSR) was developed at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It's a mix of yoga and mindfulness mediation, making the most of both. MBSR helps:
- As an effective stress management technique
- To unlock unconscious feelings and behaviors can effect your emotional, spiritual and physical sense of wellbeing
- To help with panic disorder and anxiety disorder
- To lower blood pressure
- To calm you down
- To encourage physical activity
- To boost self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy and low self confidence
- For those with chronic illnesses and pain
- To strength muscles and aid mobility
- For healing
- For spiritual and mental transformation
- To brighten negative thinking and depressive mood
- For chronic lower back pain
- For cancer patients
- For sufferers of arthritis
- For stress related disorders
HOW MINDFULNESS BASED STRESS REDUCTION PROGRAMS CAN HELP YOU
Twenty years of research demonstrates that the majority of participants in MBSR programs report effective decreases in symptoms of stress and other physical and mental symptoms. These include
- Being able to relax more effectively
- Having greater self-esteem and confidence
- Having the ability to copy in stressful and anxious situations
- Having reduced pain levels
- Having more energy
- Having more zest and enthusiasm for life
- Having skills to manage stress both in the short-term and long-term
- Decrease in use of medications to manage psychological problems ranging from depression to panic disorder to stress and anxiety
- Decrease in somatization: which is when your mental pain becomes or is perceived to become an actual pain in your body
- Increase in confidence
- Improvement for psoriasis
- Less family and job stress
- Reduction in irritable bowel syndrome
- Better sleep habits
WAIT A MINUTE: WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY MINDFULNESS?
Mindfulness is simply 'being in the moment' - focusing on the here and now. Mindfulness meditation means being in the moment, without judging to worrying on what might happen or thoughts of the past. You can't experience love, happiness, contentment, joy or peace without being there, being in that moment to experience that specific emotion. In fact, you could say that there is only the NOW, the PRESENT. There's no such thing as living in the past or the future. The future does not exist, you can never get there, and there is nothing you can do to alter the past, so you might as well live and concentrate fully on the moment. Once you are in the moment, you should feel a sense of contentment ~ that just be being alive and aware in this moment of time, this is enough.
MBSR SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT HELP ME. HOW TO GET STARTED?
There are over 200 clinics, hospitals and medical centers around the world who offer intensive programs in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. Do a search online to find the place nearest to you. If there is no MBSR center nearby, you can take the program online with virtual classroom software.
Practise mindfulness-based stress reduction for the best of medication and yoga, and feel better mentally, emotionally and physically. To your good health and wellbeing.