Seek to exercise three non-consecutive days each week. This will furnish your body the essential forty-eight hours required to rebuild the micro-tears produced in your muscles when you lift weights. Ordinarily the optimum number of sets for the majority people are somewhere around 3, each consisting of ten repetition each. Some women will do better with different variations, possibly 2 sets of 15 reps or perhaps 5 sets of 8. Time and practice will teach you what is best for you, but 3 sets of 10 tends to be the sweet spot for most women, if you are just starting out, try only two sets.
In all cases lift as much weight as you can handle for the requisite repetitions. Your movements should be even and intentional. Flawless form is crucial, If your form is suffering, trim down the weight. Do two sets of each exercise, resting one to two minutes in between each set. As you progress you can move up to three sets. When ten repetitions of a weight is manageable, raise your weight. Start with the largest muscle groups, such as your back, chest and legs first and work your way to your smaller muscle groups, biceps, triceps, calves, and shoulders.
Make sure you work alternating groups of muscles, as in chest/back.
Here are some exercises you can do to build muscle:
Exercises for your back include: the deadlift, lat pull-down, bent-over barbell row, side lat raises, and seated cable row .
- For your chest you may want to include the bench press, dumbbell flyes, incline bench press, decline press, and incline dumbbell flyes.
- The best exercises for legs are squats, probably the single best exercises you can do. You can also do hamstring curls, presses, and calve raises.
- For your biceps include incline standing barbell curls, curls, and preacher curls.
- To work your triceps do some tricep curls, tricep press down, overhead extensions, and dips. You can do wrist curls to strengthen your forearms.
- The military press, front and side arm raises are great all around shoulder exercises, lat raises and shoulder shrugs are all great for your shoulders as well.
- There are a variety of exercises you can do for your abs, crunches and bicycles all are great for strengthening your abs, doing leg lifts to strengthen those muscles.
If you want to get toned fast, I would really recommend the Iron Dolls program, it's sensible, easy to understand, an incredibly effective