Take Control of Your Skin
What is propionibacterium acnes?
There are many actions that you can take in order to control and prevent acne. I have identified several strategies for natural acne treatment and guidelines that have been effective to some extent or another for myself.
Propionibacterium acnes originate from inside your body, so keeping your system clean helps keep their numbers down. There are a variety of products designed to do this, but drinking a sufficient amount of water is all that is necessary.
The next step is to attack the P.acnes on the surface of the skin. Killing propionibacterium acnes on the surface of the skin also removes excessive amounts of oil.
The final step is to breakup and separate the dead skin cells. This ensures that when the P.acnes and oil return, there will be no chance of them clogging the pores of the skin.
Skin Protection is a Must
Exercise and Acne Tips
Exercising is a must whether you have skin problems or not. People with acne problems will need to be extra careful when exercising because of the high productivity of the sebaceous glands and likelihood of producing oil to block the pores. I recommend adhering to the following exercise guidelines.
- Wash your face and body immediately after you exercise. This will prevent your sweat glands from contributing to clogging any pores.
- Sunlight, a provider of Vitamin D, is good for healthy skin. However, in excess it can be very damaging the your skin cells. I would suggest limiting the amount of direct exposure to the sun that you get. For example, playing beach volleyball every day during the summer when it's sunny it isn't a good idea, but talking a daily walk around the block is wise.
- Getting quality cardiovascular exercise is important. I recommend jogging, stair climbing, swimming, cycling, or other forms of cardiovascular exercise at least twice a week.
- I would avoid lifting heavy weights. Weight training in general should be kept to a minimal.
- If you have body acne, I would recommend loose clothing to reduce the amount of friction and irritation.
- If you are competing, don't allow yourself to lose your cool. Losing your cool and getting angry will raise your testosterone levels. Hormones have significant influences on acne production. High testosterone levels are associated with acne growth.
- Exercise where you can get full circulation of fresh air.
- Drink lots of water before, during, and after exercise the keep your cells hydrated.
Remove Acne Scars Naturally
Amazon Price: $9.95 $6.74 Buy Now
(price as of Aug 19, 2014)
Pimple Misconceptions and Myths
You might have heard these "facts" in the locker room, at the mall or even online. Don’t believe them! While you’re learning about pimples, and the right steps to treat them, take these popular myths and file them under "bogus":
- Washing and scrubbing your face gets rid of pimples
Sure, washing your face is good hygiene, but washing it a lot and scrubbing it hard will NOT clear up pimples. In fact, you could just make it worse.
- Blackheads are dirt
Wrong! Blackheads are caused by oil build-up and dead skin in the pores. When exposed to air, they turn black, it’s that simple. Taking care of your skin by washing it daily is a good thing, but don’t expect it to make blackheads go away.
- Greasy foods and chocolate cause pimples
It’s time to retire this particular myth, so we can all continue to enjoy an occasional side of fries or candy bar! There is no scientific evidence firmly linking pimples to a bad diet. Pimples are caused mainly by the production of hormones which cause oil build-up in the skin. If you want to cut back on pizza and candy bars for other good health reasons, great, but don’t expect that to clear up your pimples.
- Squeezing pimples will help clear up pimples
Don’t touch that zit! Squeezing and picking at pimples won't help clear pimples. In fact, "popping a zit" may cause permanent scarring.
- Make-up and sunscreens do not make pimples worse
Ok, this one is not all wrong, since some skin care products are designed not to cause zits. However, some make-up, sunscreens and other facial products can aggravate pimples. So, if you want to use these types of products, look for skin care products labeled non comedogenic (meaning they don’t cause whiteheads or blackheads). And, if you wear makeup, make sure to wash it off before you go to bed.
How to Get Rid of Acne Fast
Practice Minimizing Skin Contact
Natural Remedies for Acne
Minimizing skin contact on the areas that are prone to acne formation is critical for keeping your skin clean for a couple of major reasons. Anything, whether it be your fingers or an article of clothing, that touches your skin can contain oil and bacteria. Allowing these things to have contact with your skin will bring this oil and bacteria onto your skin surface.
Secondly, by touching your skin, the delicate hair follicles where pores get clogged can become ruptured. This is especially likely when your skin is rubbed or scratched. The guidelines below suggest various things you should and should not be doing to your skin.
Best to Avoid:
- Holding your chin with your hands
- Holding the receiver against the chin or face when using a phone
- Wearing headbands, caps, or hats if your forehead is a problem area
- Wearing scarves if your chin or neck is a problem area
- Shaving too often
- Wearing tight clothing if you have body acne
- Sleeping face down
- Sleeping with your face touching your pillow or bed sheet
- Using oil-based moisturizers
- Wearing makeup
- Wearing loose clothing
- Washing your clothes often
- Keeping your hair short
- Shaving according to the flow of your hairs
- Washing your glasses daily if you wear them
- Washing bed sheets and pillow cases often
- Using a clean towel daily
- Patting your skin dry after washing
Promote New Skin Cell Growth and Healthy Skin
Natural Acne Spot Treatment
Amazon Price: $29.99 $22.83 Buy Now
(price as of Aug 19, 2014)
Foods that Cause Acne Growth
Foods Cooked in Dry Heat (e.g. anything baked, roasted, smoked, toasted)
- Baked potatoes
- Pies, Cakes, Muffins, Cookies, Bagels
- Bread, Crotons
- Baked ziti, Roast chicken/turkey
- Smoked salmon/ham
Grilled & Barbecued Food (e.g. anything charred)
- Grilled fish/chicken/meat
- Grilled hamburgers / hot dogs
- Lobster, Crab, Clams, Shrimp
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
- Iodized Salt
- Iodized Rich Foods (e.g. Seaweed)
Foods for Acne Prevention
Now that you know the kinds of food you should be avoiding, pay attention to the list below which has foods that are beneficial to your skin. Please keep in mind that this is not an all-inclusive list and that other foods should be taken to support proper health.
- Apples, Pears, Melons, Strawberries
- Celery, Green Peppers, Cucumbers, Carrots, Green leafy vegetables, Tomatoes
- Brown rice, Oatmeal
- Steamed whole grain bread
- Parsley, Mint, Basil