Natural Cures for Indigestion
Indigestion is a common problem for many and it occurs for various reasons. Symptoms that usually accompany indigestion include pain in the stomach, bloating, gas, heartburn, a feeling of tightness and queasiness and can also include vomiting and diarrhea. If you're one of many to suffer from frequent indigestion or just occasional indigestion, read on for ideas that can assist you in feeling better quickly by making a few adjustments to your diet.
Causes of Indigestion
Most indigestion is caused by:
Eating greasy, fatty foods
Eating undercooked or improperly handled foods
Eating too much sugar
Eating packaged or processed foods
Eating large meals
Medications and chemicals
Natural Cures for Indigestion
1. Avoid eating greasy, fatty foods as these are difficult for the body to digest
2. Avoid overeating. The body can only handle digesting small portions at a time since our stomachs are only as large as the palm of the hand. Indigestion can be reduced or improved almost immediately when small, frequent meals are consumed instead of less frequent large meals.
3. Become knowledgeable with food handling. Chicken that has started to go bad is a big culprit for indigestion, as well as poor hand washing while handling raw chicken. Always wash your hands, cutting boards, knives and utensils with warm soapy water, rinse well and dry after handling all raw chicken always.
4. Packaged and processed foods contain preservatives and some chemicals that could cause indigestion and are best avoided.
5. Wash fresh fruits and fresh vegetables with a chemical free produce cleaner, rinse well and dry before storing to reduce contaminants that contribute to indigestion.
6. Eat more slowly to allow the stomach time to receive foods and also to increase your awareness of a feeling of fullness. Stop eating when you begin to feel full.
7. Reduce consumption of /Alcoholic Beverages">alcoholic beverages or carbonated beverages.
Foods that Alleviate Indigestion
Peppermint helps to reduce stomach acids and promotes a healthy digestive system.
Drink it as a tea to soothe indigestion or keep a bag of peppermint candy handy.
Chicken soup has long been known to contain natural ingredients that alleviate stomach indigestion.
Black pepper added to foods naturally helps digestion and will alleviate indigestion.
Ginger is good for the stomach as it calms the stomach from fatty, greasy foods and can be used fresh or drank as ginger ale.
Add fresh garlic to your meals while cooking to prevent indigestion.
Cinnamon has been a known spice to improve digestion and can be added to many types of foods.
Gluten is not tolerated by many that develop indigestion from eating wheat, oats, barley or rye. Consider using rice flour and avoiding grains that induce indigestion. Following a gluten free diet for this group of affected individuals offers great relief of indigestion and associated problems.
Chamomile has known calming benefits and can be used as a warm tea drink to soothe an upset stomach.
Aloe and Pomegranate are two super foods that reduce indigestion and can be taken in liquid form daily to improve digestive disorders. http://shmyl.com/rpshton
Drink a warm glass of lemon water for a fast, easy natural cure for indigestion.
Yogurt contains natural bacteria fighting ingredients and can be added to the daily diet to reduce problems associated with frequent indigestion.
Include foods to the daily diet that neutralize stomach acids such as apples, carrots, celery or raisins.
Drinking apple cider or adding a few drops of distilled vinegar to a glass of water can naturally help reduce indigestion symptoms.
Other herbs have known medicinal value and can be added to flavor foods daily such as anise and cumin.
Aromatherapy as a Natural Cure for Indigestion
Try using pure, therapeutic essential oils daily throughout the home and by massaging the body for prevention of some stomach discomforts as well as reducing stress.
By paying attention to the foods that trigger indigestion and making some daily changes to the diet and your lifestyle, you will find natural cures for indigestion that are fairly easy to do on a regular basis. You'll feel better and will also notice other improved health benefits as well.