Read on for natural insomnia cures and get that full night's of restful sleep that you've been craving for.
The statistics on insomnia are scary. It's reported that between 20-40 percent of all adults suffer from insomnia during some point in any year. Out of these, an incredible 60 percent have a chronic problem with insomnia which means that they have had problems sleeping for quite some time. Sleep problems are one of the most common medical conditions - there are 84 classifications of sleep disorders. They range from psychophysiological insomnia which is insomnia caused by psychological stress and emotion, to restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea.
Doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleep medication for chronic insomnia as they can be habit forming and may lose effectiveness over time. There are natural insomnia treatments - let's look at three of the best known and more effective.
1. MINDFULNESS MEDITATION
Meditation has a proven ability to calm the mind and nervous system. Regular mindfulness meditation practice has shown to be effective in treatment some insomnia disorders and reducing stress.
2. SLEEP HYGIENE
Sleep hygiene is the most commonly prescribed natural treatment for insomnia. Sleep hygiene involves getting into a daily routine just before bedtime. So that usually means:
- going to bed and getting up at the same time every day. Try not to oversleep at the weekends in an attempt to 'catch up' on sleep
- don't nap for more than 20 minutes during the day.
- invest in black-out curtains or blinds so that your bedroom is totally dark. Your bedroom should also be completely quiet - buy ear plugs if you need to. If your partner snores or has different sleep habits - you might want to think about separate bedrooms, no matter how unromantic that might seem
- do not have a television, computer or any light-emitting electronic item in your bedroom such as mobile phones or even a clock radio that lights up.
- try and wind down for at least one hour before you go to bed - try to do something restful such as meditation or light reading
- if you do wake up in the middle of the night - try not to stress about it - and trying to go back to sleep might end up causing you more stress. Just lie in bed, relax and don't worry if you do not go back to sleep straightaway
- write down any thoughts you might have so that you're not worrying about them overnight - especially things that you need to do
- don't eat a heavy meal before you sleep
- don't rely on alcohol to get you to sleep
3. MIND-BODY BRIDGING
Mind-body bridging as a natural remedy for insomnia was developed by Dr Stanley Block. Dr Block is well-known as the author of Come to Your Senses: Demystifying the Mind Body Connection
Of the three insomnia techniques, mind-body bridging has had the best results in most tests.