remedies exist to cure insomnia and help with the transition into
sleep. However, natural cures for insomnia are often the most
effective and have no negative side effects. Aromatherapy is used to
treat many different ailments, but it has recently been used as a
natural insomnia remedy by herbalists and aromatherapists. Both of
the following treatments utilize essential oils to help the user fall
asleep quickly and stay asleep longer.
An effective natural treatment for insomnia is a hot bath supplemented by essential oils. The warmth of the water and soothing aromas of the essential oils work together to lull the insomniac to sleep. Follow these steps to create your own aromatic bath:
- Fill a bath tub with water that is between 92 and 96 degrees F.
- Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil, 3 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil and 2 drops of mandarin essential oil to a 1/2 cup of milk.
- Add the mixture to the water just before stepping into the bath.
A scented spray can also be used as a natural insomnia remedy. Infusing sheets, pillows and blankets with essential oils can calm the mind and will help induce sleep. Follow these steps to create a scented bed that will gently lull you to sleep:
- Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil, 5 drops of mandarin essential oil and 3 drops Roman chamomile essential oil to a spray bottle filled with 2 ounces of water.
- Shake the bottle well to mix the oil and water together.
- Spray the herbal liquid over the sheets, pillow and blankets just before going to sleep. Continue spraying until the bottle is empty.
Other Natural Insomnia Remedies:
In addition to using the aromatherapy treatments above for treating insomnia, there are also several other remedies you might try to get a good night's sleep. Use these alone or in conjunction with one another as necessary.
- Drink a cup of relaxing herbal tea such as chamomile with a tsp of honey just before bed. Honey has a mild sedative effect that will increase your chances of falling asleep when combined with relaxing herbs.
- Drink a glass of warm milk before bed. This is an age-old natural insomnia remedy that works by soothing the body and mind in preparation for sleep.
- Take valerian, a strongly sedative herb, to help you fall asleep and increase the quality of sleep. Valerian is an ancient natural insomnia remedy that has been used for centuries to treat a variety of sleep disorders. Take a single adult dosage of valerian tincture just before bed for the best results. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper dosage instructions.