Just as there are remedies for people, there are so many natural ways to help plants. If you are growing edible ones like vegetables and herbs, it’s probably good practice to make use of natural ways to promote their health as what you give them may directly affect your own health.
- Chamomile can be used to prevent disease in seedlings (pint of boiling water poured over 2 ounces of chamomile flowers). You can use this solution to protect your seedling before they germinate as a large percentage of seedlings die very shortly after they grow or never grow at all. If the seeds are large enough you can immerse them in the solution and let them dry before you plant them. If they are too small, you can put the seeds in the soil and spray this solution on them before you cover them. If you're frustrated by lack of seedlings, this would be a good idea to do. This will protect the seedlings from disease.
- A natural way to stimulate new roots in plants is to use Willow shoots. Soaking them in a bucket of water can create a natural way to stimulate growth for your cuttings. It’s beats using chemical methods. (herbs for dummies).
- Peppermint tea has been known to repel bugs that are eating your healthy plants and making them sick. Make a spray or arrange Peppermint around other plants to repel bugs.
- Marigold tea repels bugs in your garden. Make a spray or put them around other plants to keep the bugs away. This works excellent if you want to put a border of marigolds to ward off the bugs from eating your plants.
- Banana peels are high in potassium and can ward off aphids as well as help fertilize new plants. To get rid of aphids cut small pieces and put in soil about an inch or two deep around affected garden. To use as a fertilizer, dry peels and grind up in your blender. Potassium and Phosphorus are the minerals that are in banana peels which will promote healthy plants. Why throw away something that can benefit them.
- Cooking two onions in a big pot of water and using it as a spray that caterpillars are eating, will chase them away. Let it sit for 24 hours and strain the onion peels out.
- Eggshells are a common natural health promoter for garden. Make sure you wash and crush them as tiny as possible. These are 100% calcium and are useful for all plants.
- Coffee grounds are only useful for those plants that love acidic soil. Some of those plants would be Azaleas, Rhododendrons, and Tomatoes.
- You can plant garlic or onion with any vegetable plants to keep the bugs away. Since garlic and onion are super strong, you should not put them too close to other plants.
- Baking soda can help prevent black spot fungus. You can make a spray solution by mixing 4 teaspoons to 1 gallon of water. It also can be used to neutralize the acidity in soil.
Amazon Price: $14.95 $8.14 Buy Now
(price as of Aug 18, 2013)