What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are ugly blemishes on your face that are difficult to get rid of. They are clogged pores that appear as black dots on your nose, cheeks, chin, and more. The pores or follicles are clogged by sebum (oil), dead skin cells, and dirt. When the materials clogging the skin are exposed to oxygen they are oxidized and turn black.
There are numerous traditional ways to get rid of blackheads such as facial scrubs, pore strips, masks, cleansers, and more. Many of these traditional methods for preventing and getting rid of blackheads include harsh chemicals and toxins that you may not want being absorbed into your system through the skin. Also, traditional methods of preventing and eliminated blackheads are expensive. Instead, you may want to treat blackheads naturally which is healthier and less expensive. Check out these natural remedies below in order to fight blackheads naturally!
Tips for Fighting Blackheads Naturally
- Maintain a dedicated cleansing regimen to keep your skin fresh and clean and pores clear.
- Regularly exfoliate your skin to prevent new blackheads from forming Exfoliation will cleanse the skin and clear your pores from excess oil and grime. Be sure to use the right exfoliator for your skin type.
- Steam your face. Steam will open up pores and help remove excess oils and dead skin cells. A good facial steam includes herbs such as rosemary and peppermint to help open up the pores. Boil water in a pot. Once the water is boiling, remove the pot from the heat, place your face over the steam, and cover your head with a towel to prevent the steam from escaping. Steam your face for 15 minutes and then use the rough surface of the towel to slough dead skin cells off of your skin. Afterwards, wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Avoid oily cosmetics and moisturizers--oil clogs pores and leads to blackheads.
- Avoid oily hair products, the oil on your hair will get on your skin and clog pores when your hair comes in contact with your skin.
Use Food To Fight Blackheads
Dried Basil Leaves
Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of dried basil leaves in one cup of boiling water. Allow the basil to steep in the water for 10 to 20 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled, use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to your blackheads.
Grind an orange peel and mix with water to create a paste to fight blackheads.
Grate potatoes and use to get rid of all types of skin blemishes, not only blackheads by whiteheads as well.
Yogurt, Oatmeal, and Olive Oil
A facial mask of yogurt, oatmeal, and olive oil is an effective remedy for preventing and getting rid of blackheads.
More Recipes to Fight Blackheads
Lavender and Yarrow Facial
The following facial is a great way to get rid of blackheads. First, create an astringent lotion by combining 5 drops of tea tree oil, 25 millilitres of rosewater, and 25 millilitres of witch hazel. Next steam your face, as described above, but add 10 grams of lavender flowers, 10 grams of dried yarrow flowers, and 10 grams of dried elder flowers to the water. Thereafter, cleanse with the astringent lotion. Use this facial daily for best results. You can also make a facial scrub with lavender and yarrow flowers to fight blackheads.
Rose Water Toner
Use rose water as a toner ad rub it gently over your face with a cotton ball three times per day to prevent blackheads.
A paste of red sandalwood, tumeric, and milk will eliminate blackheads.
Neem Leaves and Tumeric Paste
Create a paste from neem leaves and tumeric. it will act as an antibiotic and remove blackheads.
Green Tea Scrub
Add green tea to homemade scrubs/exfoliators to fight blackheads.
Things to Avoid to Prevent Blackheads
- Avoid caffeine to prevent blackheads.
- Do not squeeze or "pop" blackheads! Squeezing the skin to eliminate blackheads can spread the infection to other areas of your skin and make blackheads worse. It may be tempting to try to squeeze blackheads as it seems like a quick fix but it is a huge no-no!