Let's face it. We have all had those times spent gazing forlornly at the toilet, wishing we could have a bowel movement. A staggering number a people experience abdominal pain and constipation each year. In fact, the effects of constipation will strike about 12% of the world population, and millions of dollars are spent on laxitives in America each year to help constipation.
Symptoms of Constipation
Normally, the average person has 1-3 bowel movements per day. This is assuming the person is healthy, on a regular eating schedule, and eating wholesome foods regularly. There are many possible causes of constipation, but usually breaking one of the before mentioned ideas can lead to constipation. What are the symptoms of constipation?
- Difficulty having a bowel movement.
- Infrequent bowel movements, typically more than 3 days.
- Abdominal pain
- Bloated sensation in stomach
- Swollen abdomen
- Vomiting - Yes, it has to go somewhere...
A Natural Remedy for Constipation
Many people are looking for a natural way to relieve bloating and constipation without using drugs and laxatives. Here is a way to help stimulate your bowels to help you in having a bowel movement. I affectionately call this method "The Poo Massage." Silly, yes. However, this method is highly useful in relieving the effects of constipation.
This method is very easy to do, but it's useful to have someone else perform this on you. This way you can relax your abdominal muscles to get a better effect. The goal with this technique is to both manually move the fecal matter in the large intestine, and to help stimulate peristalsis. Peristalsis is the natural muscular contractions of the intestines to help move stool towards the rectum. Continue reading to learn this technique.
The Poo Massage
Look at the picture below. The green arrows represent the normal direction that stool moves through the large intestine. The red line shows approximately the bottom of the ribs, and the black cross divides the abdomen into four quadrants. Remember, the goal is to encourage the stool to move in this direction. Follow these steps to help relieve your constipation:
- Begin in the lower RIGHT quadrant. Use you hands to gently massage the abdomen using small circles. You can gently press into the abdomen a couple of inches, so long as it is not painful.
- Continue massaging in small circles along the path of the green arrows.
- Your speed so be slow and gentle. Moving through each quadrant in about 5-6 seconds.
- At the bottom of the lower LEFT quadrant, stop. Remove your hands and reset them at the beginning of the path in the lower RIGHT quadrant.
- Continue this slow, gentle massage for about 5-10 minutes.
Hint: Have a toilet handy! Typically, within 10-15 minutes after completion you will be racing to the bathroom!
PRECAUTIONS: If you have increased abdominal pain or this method fails to give relief for constipation, please see a physician!
Bowel Cancer Symptoms
This section is included for educational purposes only and is not meant to scare the reader. Some symptoms of constipation are also symptoms of bowel or colon cancer. You should always seek medical attention with severe pains or persistent constipation; however, these symptoms should spur you seek care from your physician as soon as possible.
Symptoms of Colon Cancer:
- A change in your bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation or a change in the consistency of your stool
- Rectal bleeding or blood in your stool
- Persistent abdominal discomfort, such as cramps, gas or pain
- A feeling that your bowel doesn't empty completely
- Weakness or fatigue
- Unexplained weight loss
Remember to talk to your physician if you have any of these symptoms!
Hopefully, you will resemble Harry from Dumb and Dumber after finishing your massage, and get relief from your symptoms. The effects of constipation are no fun whatsoever! Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you find this natural remedy for constipation useful!
Amazon Price: $16.00 $6.50 Buy Now
(price as of Mar 12, 2014)