It's inevitable that you will reach a point in your life where you can't sleep and would prefer to try natural sleep remedies rather than prescription medication for insomnia. There are various amounts of natural sleep remedies which focus on everything from herbal teas or herbal sleep aids to curtains in your room to keep the light out. This article will explore conventional natural sleep remedies and the cutting edge approaches people are using to get more sleep.
1. Chamomile Decaffeinated Tea: This tea has stress reducing properties and has been used for ages as a natural sleep remedy. Chamomile is known for its anxiety reducing properties to reduce mild insomnia. What's equally encouraging about chamomile properties is that you don't have to drink this tea daily to enjoy the benefits of a good night's sleep. One cup can aid in relaxation and a great night's rest. It's important to note that your chamomile tea should be decaffeinated in that caffeine is a natural stimulant which will limit your ability to get good sleep.
2. White Noise: White noise scientifically is considered to be a random noise with a flat density, so how is this calming? Well a white noise can have comforting elements that don't elicit specific brain responses which keep you awake- It typically has a constant pitch or sound. Many iPhone and blackberry mobile devices have white noise applications that you can set for a predetermined amount of time. White noise applications can be repetitive rain drops or a thunderstorm. These sounds can help lull you to sleep in that water specifically has been known to have especially soothing properties which elicit immediate relaxation and as a result, sleep.
3. Aromatherapy: For ages, people have used lavender as one of the most effective natural sleep remedies. Lavender, like chamomile, has stress reducing elements which help you get a great night's sleep. Lavender can also be used in soaps, moisturizers and lotions to help provide the sensation that encourages rest and relaxation.
4. Stress Reduction: Instead of using teas and other aromatherapy oils to help reduce stress, one of the easiest natural sleep remedies is getting rid of stress directly. Exercise can be an excellent form of stress reduction, which includes taking those long walks to help clear your mind. Exercise not only increases your heart rate and burns calories, it also releases feel good hormones or endorphins. Endorphins reduce the perception of stress, so perhaps your bills don't automatically go away, but you most likely will come away believing that all will be ok with a solid plan â or better yet, after a good night's sleep.
5. Remove distractions, like televisions: This may not be one of the more popular natural sleep remedies, but removing your television from your bedroom could make for a very sound sleep. For obvious reasons, trying to go to sleep with the television on, can affect the amount of sleep you get. But also having a television in your bedroom is a distraction. Imagine how hard it would be to get to sleep after seeing a SAW movie or a heated Presidential debate. It's better to be in a quiet and dark room 30mins to an hour before going to sleep. Removing your TV eliminates the temptation to just get one more hour of CSI in. If removing your television isn't an option, consider turning it off 30 mins. to an hour before you are ready to go to bed. Perhaps playing soft music instead of watching TV is an option.
Unconventional Natural Sleep Remedies
They are cutting edge and new techniques to get some sleep. And while some of these sleep remedies are rather "off the wall" one or two make common sense.
1. Color Therapy: Color therapy is the concept of room colors affecting your mood it is also one of the most unconventional natural sleep remedies. Feng shui also studies how different colors affect your mood. But it's important to understand that to get sleep, you aren't going to want to have your room brightly colored. Red's and oranges are known to excite. Soft blues have been known to aid in relaxation. So try painting your room a soft blue color.
2. Purchase Blackout curtains for a Natural Sleep Remedy: Blackout curtains are regular decorative curtains faced with a black out lining which prevents the natural sun from coming in. When sleeping, your room should be as dark as possible particularly if you have alternate sleep schedules; ie, working at nights.
3. White Noise Live: Bring in the Water Fountain: Why not bring the white noise in person to your bedroom. Instead of an app that plays looped sounds of crashing waves, why not purchase a small water fountain where you can bring in the natural sounds of water into your bedroom. Feng Shui experts believe that water not only has a renewing affect, it also brings in greater prosperity.