Here are some common eyes problems and how to handle them. In case of doubt, consult a specialist.
Wrinkles Around the Eyes
The skin surrounding the eyes are very soft, so it can dry up fast. So, from 25 years onwards wrinkles will start to appear.
- Start to apply some oil or eye-cream after you are 25. You have to massage the eyes with the ring finger, after applying the cream, as this finger applies less pressure than other fingers.
- If you have an itch around the eyes you shouldn't scratch it with the fingers as this may lead to early wrinkles and will worsen the itch too.
- If you are prone to more wrinkles, you can apply an anti-wrinkle cream or apply almond oil and softly massage it into the skin of the eye with the help of the ring finger.
- Place a used tea sachet on the eyes after it cooled down. This method is just like placing 2 pieces of cucumber to relax the eye, which in turn will reduce dark circles.
- Take vitamin capsules from twenty years of age.
Dark circles will even turn beautiful snow-white into a wicked witch.
The hypodermis that is present in the skin is less present in the skin surrounding the eye area. Dark circles are prone to occur due to lack of sleep, genetic problems, unhealthy food or long hours watching TV or the screen of your computer.
An early recognition can treat dark circles.
So, what’s the solution?
- Sleep well! Cup your palms and placed them on the eyes, on and off during the day.
- Blinking long and hard can also be a good exercise.
- Place 2 pieces of cucumber or cooled tea bags on your eyes.
- First thing in the morning rub your palms together to heat them as much as possible. Then place them on your eyes. Do this at least 3 times.
Some people have swollen eyes very often. This shows that something is wrong with the body.
- Having swollen eyes in the morning is normal, and is nothing serious.
- Wash the eye with cool then hot water. Repeat this procedure (by washing the eye in the two types of water alternately).
- Don't massage the eye till the swelling is reduced.
- If the problem persists, consult a doctor.
Red Teary Eyes
- If this happens because of the mascara, the eye liner or the brush, it may be due to allergies. Never place a piece of cloth on the eye which has been kept on the mouth and heated with the breath, because bacteria from the spit may enter the eyes.
- Wash the eyes and let the swelling settle.
- Make sure that you don't use cheap or low quality eye make-up.
- Red eyes are symptoms of some diseases so if the redness remains, consult your doctor.
This is due to the tear glands not producing enough tears.
- Eat a lot of leafy vegetables.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid coffee.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water.
- Gently massage the upper and lower lid with your ring fingers.
- Ask your doctor for eye drops that will relieve the irritation fast.
- Wear wrap around sunglasses when you are out.
- When using the computer for a long time have breaks in between and relax your eyes. Use lubricating eye-drops that can be bought over the counter.
The main cause of itchy eyes is allergy. People are allergic to many things, allergies differ from person to person and there is no allergen common to everyone. The first thing to do is to find out what causes the allergy. You can write down the things you ate during that day and compare it with the other days you got the itch, to see if you have a food allergy.
The best medicine for an itch is eye drops. Try to avoid decongestants as they are addictive.
- Use lubricant eyes drops that are easily bought over the counter to ease mild itches.
- If your eye itches severely, consult a doctor and he will be able to prescribe the correct eye drops.
- Apply some ice on your eyes (ice pack), this might be able to cure the itch.
- Never rub your eyes, no matter if you eyes are itchy or not. The hands and fingers are full of germs and we are unaware of the things we touch. Sometimes eyes become itchy because you touch or rubb them with dusty or unclean hands.
- Never rub your eyes to ease the itch. You will want to do so but remember that rubbing your eyes will actually make the itch worse. When you rub you eyes, a chemical called histamine is produced in the eyes and this chemical can increase the itch.
Floaters, Flashes and Spots
Floaters and spots are nothing serious. They are small proteins that are in the vitreous layer. When I was young, every time I looked at the sky I saw these tiny things moving around. I used to think I was the only person in the world to see atoms. These pieces were round and looked like atoms with a middle part that I thought was the nucleus.
If you can see flashes of light, like a camera flash, then it’s time to consult your doctor. Flashes sometimes show that something is wrong within your eyes.
If you see lots of floaters or spots too, you have to consult a doctor as this can sometimes be a serious problem.
Some Eye Exercises
- Close the eyes hard and open them wide. Do this 5 times a day.
- Open and close the eyes without crossing your brows. Perform this exercise while your facial muscles are in a relaxed state. This exercise is one of the best exercises for the eyes. Doing this continuously will remove the dark circles under your eyes.
- If the dark circles are intense, eye massage at a beauty parlor will help.
- Mix turmeric in coconut oil and bring it to boil. Then apply it around your eyes before you go in for a bath and leave it for 10 minutes. All you dark circles will disappear.
- Crush an apple and soak it in honey. This will increase the beauty of your eyes and help your sight.
Why is makeup removal important?
- If eye makeup is not removed it can make the eyes red and blotchy
- Remove eye make-up before you go to bed.
- Remove the fake lashes first.
- Eye makeup remover is commonly available in most cosmetic stores.
- Dip cotton on it and wipe the eyes while they are closed, from the tip of the eyes towards the nose. Do this 2 to 3 times then take a clean cotton and wipe the eyes lids and the skin below the eyes.
- Wash eyes with clean water regularly.
- Those who use the computer regularly should make sure to close your eyes for a few moments. At intervals one should see the colors red or green, which cools the eye.
- The area surrounding the eyes should always be massaged very lightly with the ring finger.
- A good night’s sleep and 8 to 10 glasses of water a day is very important.
In my country we always use the term "es deka waage rekaganna" "I will protect it as if it were my eyes", regarding anything or person that we love. This phrase originated because our sight is very important.