It is a good idea to look at new cars under 16000 dollars when the economy is sluggish and saving money is a high priority. The cheapest brand new car that you can purchase on the market in the United States is a little over 10,000 dollars. You can save even more money by purchasing a used vehicle which can cost as low as a few hundred dollars. Granted, these cars won't be in the best of conditions. However, with a few minor repairs, they can run quite well and bring you from point A to point B without too much of a hassle. These days, with the economy in the tank, auto auctions are becoming more and more popular. A lot of high quality used cars have been repossessed from owners who were unable to pay their monthly payments. If you are looking for a cheap car, this is the time to look for one. Below, I will give you a list of new cars under 16000 dollars for 2012.
Inexpensive New Cars
In many developing countries, you can find new cars that cost only a few thousand dollars. Countries like India and China are littered with tiny cheap vehicles that are affordable to the vast majority of people. Unfortunately, these cars are not available to the United States due to sub par safety standards. Even though you can save a few thousand bucks with these cars, it is not really wise to risk your life in the driver's seat. There is nothing more important than safety. The list I will provide will give you the safest and most cheapest cars available in the United States today.
Affordable New Cars
1. Nissan Versa is the cheapest on this list, starting at $10,990 for a 2012 base model. The car has enough room to seat 5 people and provides the most room per dollar than any other car in America. It is also able to achieve a maximum of 38 mpg on the highway and 30 mpg in the city. You will not only be saving money in the short run, but in the long run as well. Armed with a 4-wheel breaking anti-lock braking system as well as 109 horsepower, the Nissan Versa is a force to be reckoned with.
2. Hyundai Accent is another cheap and versatile car for young professionals and families. Starting at $12,545 for a 2012 base model, the Hyundai accent runs on 138 horsepower and 4-cylinder engine with D-VVF. The car also comes with 40 mpg on the highway, anti-lock braking system, 6 airbags, traction control system and vehicle stability management system.
3. Toyota Yaris 3-Door L costs $14,115 and has an estimated 30-38 mpg. The car has a 1.5-liter 4 cylinder with variable valve timing with intelligence, front seat-mounted side airbags and side curtain airbags. One of the safest cars on this list, the Ford Fiesta also comes with special seats that reduce whiplash injuries.
4. Kia Soul is a compact car that is perfect for families with small children. At only $13,990, the Kia Soul's size is comparable to other SUVs and is roomy enough to fit 2 or 3 children in the back of the car. The car won the 2012 Top Safety Pick award which is given to vehicles that received a "good" rating on all four tests (frontal offset, side, rear and roof strength). The Kia Soul also won the Smartway certification which is given to cars that receives a minimum of 6 on the greenhouse gas score and air pollution score.
5. Ford Fiesta is the last car that I recommend under 16000 dollars. With 29-40 mpg and a starting price of $15,670, the Fiesta is another very affordable car. The Fiesta can seat up to a total of 5 people and comes with 3 years, bumper to bumper warranty. The car is supported by 120 horsepower and 5-speed manual transmission.
You cannot go wrong with this 2012 list of new cars under 16000 dollars.