Forgot your password?

New York DMV Driver License

By Edited Jul 11, 2016 0 2

Different Classes For Different Licenses

Commercial or Non-Commercial Driver License

New York State Driver's License Requirements

Driving Is A Privilege, not a right.

All information and required application forms you need to apply for a driver license are available at any state or county motor vehicle office.  You can contact a DMV Call Center or the DMV Internet Office by visiting www.nysdmv.com.


Applying for a learners permit, driver license or non-driver identification card, an Application For Driver License or ID Card (MV-44) to be completed.  Applicants must pass a vision and written test and pay application and license fees.  Most drivers also must complete and approved 5-hour classroom training course and pass a road test.  

CDL Drivers License

For persons seeking a motorcycle or a commercial vehicle CDL drivers license, you can find information in the Motorcycle Operator's Manual (MV-21MC) or the Commercial Driver's Manual (CDL-10).  After filling out the necessary paper work/application, bring it to any motor vehicle office with the required proof of name and date of birth and pay the proper fee.

You must have a CDL if you drive any vehicle that:

    •    Has a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than
          26,000 lbs. (11,794 kg).
    •    Pulls a trailer that has a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. (4,536 kg) and the GCWR
          of the hauling vehicle plus the trailer is more than 26,000 lbs. (11,794 kg).
    •    Is designed or used to carry 15 or more persons, not counting the driver.
    •    Regardless of seating capacity, defined as a bus by Article 19-A of the Vehicle and
          Traffic Law (including vehicles carrying school children or disabled people).
    •    Carries hazardous materials required by federal law be placarded.

Class D Driver License

The non-commercial licenses are:

Operator, Class D - Minimum age is 18, or age 17 with driver education. Allows you to drive a vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. (11,794 kg) or less. A Class D driver can drive a vehicle that tows another vehicle (such as a trailer) that has a maximum gross weight of 10,000 lbs. (4,536 kg) or less. A Class D driver can tow a vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. (4,536 kg) only if the combined weight rating of the two vehicles is 26,000 lbs. (11,794 kg) or less. You may also operate Class B and C mopeds with this license.

Junior Operator, Class DJ - Minimum age is 16. A Class DJ license allows you to drive passenger cars and trucks with an unladen weight or a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 lbs. or less. A class DJ driver can drive a vehicle that tows another vehicle (such as a trailer) with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs. or less.

Class C Driver License

Non-CDL Class C- Under a NYS law that took effect on July 26, 2005, the DMV will eliminate the Non-CDL Class C license. In addition, the gross vehicle weight rating and gross vehicle combination weight rating of vehicles that a driver can operate with a Class D license has increased.  The Non-CDL Class C license will be eliminated after the DMV changes the driver license system and can apply the different endorsements and restrictions of Non-CDL Class C licenses to Class D licenses. When the changes get made, drivers who have Non-CDL class C licenses will receive Class D licenses with any required endorsements and restrictions. These drivers will receive the Class D licenses when they renew their driver licenses.  Drivers who have Class D licenses do not need to make any change to their class of driver license.

Taxi or Livery Class E Driver License

Taxi/Livery, Class E - Minimum age is 18. Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a Class D license, plus transport passengers for hire in a vehicle designed or used to carry 14 or fewer passengers. However, if the vehicle is defined as a bus under Article 19-A of the Vehicle and Traffic Law (e.g., a school car or a van used to transport physically or mentally disabled people), regardless of seating capacity, you must have a CDL.

Mopeds Motorcycles Class M Driver License

Motorcycle, Class M - Minimum age is 18, or age 17 with driver education. Allows you to drive motorcycles and mopeds.

Limited Junior Motorcycle/Junior Motorcycle, Class MJ -Minimum age is 16. Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a Class M license with certain restrictions.

Note: If you have a motorcycle license and another type of license, both classes get listed on one document (e.g., "Class DM").

Driver Education (To Change Your Class DJ or MJ License to Class D or M) - You may apply to change your junior license to a full license at age 17 if you have received a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285) from an approved driver education course. Apply at any motor vehicle office. Otherwise, your junior license will automatically become a full license when you become 18 years old and you do not need to apply for a license change.

Young Drivers:

People under the age 18 my hold a Learners Permit.  A Learner Permit limits driving privileges to people learning how to drive.  Learner Permit licenses restrict where and what circumstances a young driver can drive.  For drivers under the age 18 restrictions depend on where you drive in New York State and the time of day and these restrictions apply to drivers under 18 years of age who are licensed outside New York State.

General Rules For All Drivers With A Learner Permit:

    •    Unless you are accompanied by a supervising driver at least age 21 who has a license
          valid for operating the vehicle you are driving. For example, only a person with a
          motorcycle license may supervise a motorcycle learner.
    •    In a DMV road test area.
    •    On any street within a park in New York City, or any bridge or tunnel under jurisdiction
          of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority.
    •    On the Cross County, Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, or Taconic State parkways
          inWestchester County.Important Requirement For

Driving In New York State:

You must have car insurance to legally drive in New York State.  A motor vehicle registered in New York State must have liability insurance that requires coverage of at least; $25,000/50,000 for injury, $50,000/100,000 for death and $10,000 for property damage caused by any on accident.  Liability coverage must stay in effect while the registration is valid even if the vehicle is not used.  Motorcycles are not required to keep liability insurance if not being used.  The liability coverage must be New York State insurance coverage, issued by a company authorized to do business in New York State and licensed by the New York State Insurance Department.  Out-Of-State insurance coverage is never acceptable or valid.  The liability coverage must be in the name of the registrants (driver) and stay in the name of the registrants.  If the liability insurance changes to a different name, there will be a lapse in insurance coverage and the driver license of the registrants will be suspended.



Jul 12, 2011 11:49am
Hey homebaseincome; great information and photos! You are really doing a fantastic job with your photos, they look wonderful; keep-up the good work!
Jul 12, 2011 1:49pm
Thanks so much. And yes, great information shared too.
Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Auto