Millions of Americans suffer from back pain on a daily basis. According to the American Chiropractic Association, back pain is the cause for more Workmen’s Compensation claims than any other injury. Knowing how much pain can be caused from back injury and disease; we should all focus on how to make our backs stronger. What can we do today, tomorrow or for a lifetime to change the strength of our backs? Well let’s discuss some of those changes.
1. Stretch daily. There are many great stretches you can do to help keep your back in good condition. Many of them can be done while sitting at your desk at work or in the morning before heading out for the day. A little stretch can make the difference between having an injury or not.
2. Strengthen Your Core. Weak muscles are one of the many causes of back pain. If you neglect your core, the price you pay may be severe back pain. Working on core stabilization can help the back become a lot stronger. Many people exercise and workout but they don’t do a complete strength training routine. Core workouts will focus on strengthening the abdominals, oblique, and even the gluteus muscles.
3. Lift Correctly. If you need to do any heavy lifting make sure that you squat down first; keeping your back straight, lift close to your body, tighten the stomach and use your legs to assist in the lift. Never been down to pick up an object, the damage that could be done to your back could be felt for years to come.
4. Supplements. Natural/Alternative medicines can help with back problems like:
a) Magnesium-This mineral is one of the most plentiful in the body. If a deficiency exists of magnesium than back pain can be the result. Replacing this mineral with a magnesium supplement can help relieve the back pain if this is the cause.
b) Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM- The Biomedical Central Complementary and Alternative Medicine did a case study in 2003, which found that the combination of Chondroitin and Glucosamine reverses signs of disc degeneration. The MSM is used in some forumula of this supplement for the joint pain.
c) SAM-e-Studies have been done to suggest that this supplement is extremely effective in treating osteoarthritis. It has been suggested that you can derive the same results from using SAM-e as from using prescription drugs. Note: This supplement is quite expensive but is said to provide quickly.
5. Weight Control. Keeping your weight at a lower level can help tremendously with back pain. By losing as little as ten pounds has been found to provide relief from back and knee pain. Eat healthy and exercise to with back relief and if you are unable to do this on your own a personal trainer or nutritionist can assist you.
Back pain does not have to take over your life. There are many things that can be done to take that aching pain away. Weight control and core strengthening are two of the most important factors in finding some relief. Knowing the cause of the back pain can determine what remedies should be used to resolve this issue. See you doctors and chiropractor when necessary. And remember, standing tall and looking good are more than just words; they are also a part of the healthy back formula.