This iPhone Dual Alarm Clock Really Helps
I have always been terrible at waking up. When I think back to high school, I don't know how I managed to get to school on time. Oh yeah, my saint-of-a-mother would spend way too much time dragging me out of bed. In college it was worse. There was no point in signing up for 8 a.m. classes, because I would just sleep right through them. No matter what alarm clock I bought or what alarm clock settings I used - radio or buzzer?- nothing ever worked. I tried the trick of putting the alarm clock on the other side of the room, but you know what happened? I just got really fast at jumping out of bed, turning off the alarm, and crawling back under the covers.
Fast forward to the present. My waking up problem still exists, but I am extremely fortunate that I have a job that does not require me to be at work extremely early. However, after hopping on a scale several months ago I realized that I needed to get myself to a gym. One problem. The only time I could go was early in the morning. Ugh. But that's when I put to use a gift I was given last Christmas, an iPhone dual alarm clock.
Features of the RC65i Alarm Clock
- The first thing that I love about this alarm clock is that I was not disappointed at all with how it worked with my iPhone. I still have a regular ole 3G, and the two play very nice together. My phone charges perfectly, and the music plays great through the speakers. Also, and this is important, is that I do not have to take off my iPhone cover to plug in the phone. Other docking stations are too small to fit a phone and cover, but not the RC65i.
- The alarm clock functions are not difficult to understand and easy to set. It takes the work of a genius to set some alarm clocks, but this one is pretty easy. Once you have it figured out, it is also easy to set in the dark or with your eyes closed.
- There are dual alarms, meaning you can set two different times for an alarm to go off. This is great if two people are sharing the same alarm clock.
- There are three settings of alarms: buzzer, iPhone/iPod, and radio. I mainly use the iPhone since I have a song that works well to get me out of bed in the morning, and it works well.
- The only controls for the alarm clock's mode are 4 buttons on the face of the radio that light up when pushed. You can switch between Radio, iPhone, Auxiliary, and Off. You just slide you finger over the option you want and it changes modes for you.
- The iPhone/iPod docking station slides in and out, so if you are not using the clock for phone purposes, the docking station is flush with the face of the alarm clock, creating a "cleaner" look.
The ease of use is why I like this alarm clock so much. It is easy to set and easy to turn off. But like anything else, it is not perfect.
Problems with the Alarm Clock
- My main concern with the alarm clock is that the light that shows you the mode you are in is BRIGHT BLUE. It is not something that a light sleeper like myself can sleep through. In fact, my wife is a heavy sleeper and she cannot sleep through it. I simply place a book or a shirt over the light, and the light is sufficiently blocked. This might be a deal-breaker for some people, but I like this alarm clock so much that I just block the light and sleep well.
- Similarly, the time display is bright. It has a dimmer setting, but it is still quite bright.
- There are buttons on the top of the alarm clock. This is not a huge deal but can be frustrating. There are Snooze and Nap buttons on the top of the clock, so you can inadvertently hit one of those while trying to dock your phone.
Where to Buy This Alarm Clock
The RCA RC65i alarm clock can be found at several retail outlets such as Walmart. It can also be found online where you can find great discounts. While I think this alarm clock is the best, not all tastes are the same, so make sure you look around and see if there is another alarm clock that might suit you better.
In the meantime, I'll keep doing my best waking up with the rest of the world and getting to work on time!
Other iPhone Docking Stations with Speakers