Many people are finding success in relationships by meeting people online. The internet has become the new dating arena for our busy lifestyles. There are however, certain steps that should be taken to ensure we have a great experience on our way to Happily Ever After.
- Be honest about who you are. Many people online tend to embellish in order to appear more interesting. This is a big mistake. Honesty is the best key because it ensures that the person that contacts you is looking for what you have to offer and not what he or she thinks that you are.
- Post current photos of yourself. Nothing is more disappointing than to begin an online relationship with someone based on not only their personality but the person that they appear to be in their photos and then when they show up and look totally different. By posting older photos or photos of someone else you are setting yourself up to get your feelings hurt or worse a blow to your self esteem. The potential suitor will not like being deceived in that manner. Go ahead, and show the world who you are, that way when someone contacts you it will be because they like what they see.
- Have numerous phone and email conversations prior to meeting someone in person. This will allow you to get a general feeling about them. Beware: If you feel uneasy about the person you are interacting with proceed with caution or don’t proceed at all. This may be your intuition alerting you to a possible unpleasant situation.
- When meeting for the first time try a coffee shop. There are always other people around and if things aren’t going well you can leave shortly after arrival. Imagine trying to get through an entire dinner with someone that you have no chemistry with or who deceived you in some way. Coffee shops are a great way to meet for a few minutes, make small talk and depart. It is also an inexpensive first date for those on limited budgets.
- If you are dating online with someone in another state let them know if you are not willing to relocate if the relationship becomes serious. There is no point in starting a relationship if you are not willing to take a chance and see where it goes.
- Be sure you are unattached to all past romantic interests. Many people go online looking for relationships even though they are already involved with someone else. Make sure that you are truly ready for a new relationship and have no outside emotional attachments. You will not be able to move forward if you are still looking back.
- Don’t give out any personal information about yourself. I think this one is self-explanatory.
By following these rules of etiquette for online dating you will be well on your way to finding that someone special. Good Luck!!