Why Wont My PDF Files Open
Has this happened to you! You open Outlook and check your email and you see an attachment only to find out that the PDF file won’t open? I get a lot of these calls from users all the time. For some reason outlook looses it connection with the PDF reader be it Adobe or Fox It. When this first happened to a user I was stumped because I never saw this happen. So looking for a solution I began scouring the internet for a clue on why this is happening. After a few hours of scouring the computer forums I was able to find a way to fix the issue. I always tell people to use forums when they have computer problems because most of the time the issue is usually a simple fix.
Opening PDF Files in Outlook2003
Usually when you receive a PDF attachment on your email all you would have to do is click on it and the attachment will automatically open in a PDF reader. From here you may make changes or just read the document emailed to you. At times though for some reason Outlook may get corrupted and lose the connection with the PDF reader. When you try to open it is will tell you that “Default Program not found” it is either one or two things. The first problem is that you may not have a PDF reader installed on your computer which is why you cannot open any PDF. The second could be that Outlook is no longer pointing to a PDF reader and you may have to set it up again to point at the PDF reader.
Fixing Outlook 2003 to Open PDF Files
Now I’m going to show you how to fix this issue very quickly. First make sure you have a PDF reader installed. Most people will use Adobe PDF reader as their choice because it is free software and more well known. If you do not have a reader installed install it now you can go here and get it.
Now that you checked and noticed that you have the PDF reader already installed you will need to follow the steps below.
- Open your Outlook 2003
- Look for the PDF attachment you cannot open
- Once you found the file you will need to save it in your desktop
- Minimize Outlook and right click the file (Right button on your mouse)
- A small menu will come up and scroll to “OPEN WITH”
- Another small window will open from there scroll to “CHOOSE PROGRAM”
- A window called “OPEN WITH” will open and inside that window you will see the various software installed in your computer
- From that list you will choose the PDF reader
- Then at the bottom check the box that says “ALWAYS USE THE SELECTED PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS KIND OF FILE”
- Hit the “OK” button once you have checked the box.
- You may need to close Outlook and reopen it again so that the changes take place
- Go back to the document and click it the PDF attachment will begin to load the PDF reader and that’s it!
Now you know how to solve this issue! You will be a computer expert before