Palace on Wheels - a luxury presentation by RTDC
India has started the trend of luxury train travelling with the launch of its first heritage train - Palace on Wheels in 1982. Over the course of its 30 years run, the train has been offering a matchless journey not only to Indian as well as International travelers. There is no match of its luxury, hospitality and avant-garde amenities onboard in the world. This is the pioneer luxury train of India which offers weeklong journey to cover Delhi, Jaipur, Sawai Madhopur, Chittorgarh, Udaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Bharatpur and Agra.
When Rajasthan Tourism and Development Corporation (RTDC) was about to launch the luxury train Palace on Wheels, they never thought of its popularity in the future which motivated them to launch a second luxury train – Royal Rajasthan on Wheels in 2009. Now the travelers have choices galore to experience joyride of luxury rail to explore royalty and vigor of Rajasthan.
During the course of 30 years, the train has gone through several changes in terms of inner ambience. The Palace on Wheels carriages are the beautiful replicas of the original royal carriages with several modern amenities like central air conditioning, channel music, en-suite bathrooms with running hot & cold water, comfortable beds, writing desk and a chair to sit. Now luxuriously appointed and gracefully adorned, Palace on Wheels has a total of 14 fully air-conditioned sedans which can accommodate up to 88 passengers in a single journey.
The concept of the Palace on Wheels was derived from the royal background of the coaches, which were originally meant to be the personal railway coaches of the erstwhile rulers of the princely states of Rajputana, Gujarat, the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Viceroy of British India. Let’s have glimpse of factors which needs to be considered while planning for Indian luxury train trip:
- The train offers the services of a personal attendant called ‘Khidmatgar’ on board to make the guests feel like Maharaja and Maharani.
- Two multi-cuisine restaurants – Maharaja and Maharani are served freshly cooked foods in a welcoming ambience on board the train.
- The guests can enjoy different indoor games like chess, cards, Chinese checker, carom board and crossword puzzle in the lavishly appointed lounge car.
- One can enjoy a rejuvenating spa session on board spa car of Palace on Wheels.
- While journeying aboard the train, guests also can stay in touch with the outer world as leading newspapers greet them in the morning with refreshing hot cup of tea or beverages of their choice.
- For specials events like weddings, corporate meets and conferences, this luxury train can be chartered.
- The train journey begins with grand fanfare where guests are offered traditional style welcome with turban, tika and garlanding.
- Enjoy the changing vista of Rajasthan or just get engaged in a friendly conversation with the passengers over a glass of wine and freshly cooked snacks in the lavishly appointed bar on board the train.
- For disabled persons, special assistance is available on board the train in the form of wheel chairs, crèches and a special attendant for assistance.
The Internet facility is available aboard Palace on Wheels so that guests can remain in touch with their business even on the go.