Personal injury incidents are among the most common types of accidents today. Almost everything can cause personal injury to people, and the extent of injuries varies from simple wounds to broken bones and brain injury. The following are some examples personal injury accidents:
- Car crashes â€“ Often results to large property expenses and mild to serious types of injuries.
- Product liability â€“ Caused by products that are considered defective in design or manufacturing.
- Premises accidents â€“ Slip-and-fall accidents are the most common type of premises accidents, which are caused by owner or employee negligence.
- Animal assaults â€“ Owners who have not restrained their pets will be held liable for injuries caused by animal assault.
If you have been injured in a personal injury accident, there is definitely a certain individual or party that is liable for your injury. You will need to take legal steps in order to recover from your medical expenses and other loses.
When you are about to file a personal injury claim, you have to consider several important things such as:
- Liable individual or party â€“ The liable party or individual may or may not be aware that you have suffered a personal injury because of them. Your first move is to inform them regarding the issue. If they comply with your demands, you may solve the case without filing a personal injury complaint.
- Supporting evidence â€“ You should obtain enough proof that the liable party's negligence caused your injuries.
- State of limitations â€“ This is the maximum amount of time a personal injury claim can be filed after the incident. There are specific statute of limitations for every personal injury accident.
- Amount of compensation â€“ The possible compensation that you would receive includes property damages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages due to disability, and in some cases even punitive damages.
- Seeking legal assistance â€“ Of course you cannot fight for your rights without someone who has legal expertise. You will surely need a lawyer who can talk to the authorities to prove your stand.
Getting into a personal injury lawsuit is a long and tiresome process so make sure you have the patience to pursue your offender. If you want to resolve things faster, you may consider Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) which includes arbitration, mediation, and an employment tribunal hearing. Talk with your lawyer and decide whether you would take the personal injury case to court, or you would resolve the dispute using one of the types of ADR.
Filing, pursuing, and finishing a personal injury lawsuit requires dedication and patience in your part. That is why you definitely need an attorney to handle the processing of legal papers, and to represent you in court.