Login
Password

Forgot your password?

Poison Ivy Removal

By Edited Sep 4, 2015 1 1

poison-ivy is more than a pest type plant in many gardens and yards because it can be quite harmful to people. poison-ivy grows wildly in a wide variety of areas from urban streets to sprawling suburban lawns to quiets parcels of the forest. Only those who are allergic to the oils found in poison-ivy will develop the painful, itchy rash. Unfortunately many people are allergic to it.When poison-ivy comes in contact with skin, the urushiol found on the plant leaves, causes an intensely itchy, blistery rash. A poison-ivy rash, depending on the severity, may require prescription medication especially if the oils come in conact with the eyes or inside of the mouth. Some sufferers may need an over the counter medication to stop the allergic reaction and relieve itching. There are several proven commercially available remedies along with many time tested home remedies.

Nature's poison-ivy Remedy

Nature provides Jewelweed to counteract the effects of urushoil. Jewelweed can usually be found growing in close proximity to the poison-ivy vine.

Pick the Jewelweed and crush it between your fingers to release the fluid from inside the leaves.

Rub the Jewelweed onto the areas of skin exposed to the urushoil to counteract the effects of the urushoil.

At Home

If you come in contact with poison-ivy, immediately wash your skin with soap and water.

Wash clothing, shoes and gear with soap and water also because the urushoil remains active on clothing shoes and other items. 

Contrary to popular belief, poison-ivy does not spread from coming in contact with the rash.

It is not contagious from person to person contact with the rash.

What to do About poison-ivy

If you have poison-ivy growing in your yard, garden, anywhere on your property or near your property safe removal is required.

Do not attempt to remove the vines on a windy day, wait for a calm and mild day.

Fill a large garbage can with hot soapy water.

Wear gloves, long sleeve shirt, long pants, boots and protective eye wear.

Place a large plastic bag inside of a second garbage can and place a second bag inside of the first bag.

Use a metal rake to grasp the vines at the base, as close to the roots as possible, twist the rake to tangle the poison-ivy and pull it out with the rake.

Place the ripped out vine into the double plastic garbage bags.

Continue to tangle the poison-ivy up in the rake and remove, always discarding in the doubled bags.

Place the rake which came in contact with the poison-ivy into the garbage can filled with hot soapy water to remove the urushoil.

Toss the gloves, shirt, pants, boots and protective eye wear into the hot soapy water.

Wash the items thoroughly.

Killing poison-ivy Vines

Boil 1 gallon of water

Add 2 to 3 cups of salt

Pour the boiling salty water over the area to kill any remaining poison-ivy.

poison-ivy Warnings

Never add poison-ivy vines to a compost pile because you will contaminate the entire compost pile.

Never burn poison-ivy-inhaling the smoke and fumes from the vines can and likely will cause a systemic reaction within your body affecting your lungs and bloodstream. poison-ivy induced systemic reactions oftentimes require hospitalization and strong intravenous medications.

 

Advertisement
Advertisement

Comments

Dec 18, 2012 6:04pm
aguy
What a mess. I had never heard of Jewelweed before. Good info.
Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Home & Garden