A tasty blend of cheese and onions along with lots of pepper and garlic flavors. This Polish Ancestor Bread recipe is one of my popular creations, inspired by my two grandma's; both Polish and very good cooks. This is a combination of both of their baking methods. One mostly cooked from scratch and the other liked to use some pre-made mixes-with seven children it makes a lot of sense. My Polish Ancestor bread recipe is rich, dense and very moist. This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite Polish dishes—cottage cheese and onion pierogi. I incorporated cheeses, onions and eggs because that is what I love about the Polish dishes that I enjoyed as a child and that were passed down to me, mainly through watching the food preparation process and by word-of-mouth from my mother.
- 24 oz. large curd cottage cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. minced yellow onion
- 1/2 minced garlic clove
- 3 tsp. black ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. small potato or regular croutons
- 1 1/2 c. Bisquick
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil.
- 9" baking dish
- Mix together: separately beaten eggs, cottage cheese, onions, garlic, salt, garlic salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate the cottage cheese mixture for two or more hours to marinate. This will blend all of the ingredients and enhance the flavors.
- Mix in a large bowl: cottage cheese mixture and cream cheese, blend well.
- Add all other ingredients: use only 1 1/2 Tbsp. of shredded cheddar cheese, Bisquick and croutons. Blend well.
- Taste test for flavor and texture. Add any needed ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add the mixture to an oiled baking dish. Sprinkle remaining shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Place in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges.
- Enjoy Polish Ancestor Bread in place of other side dishes or as a light lunch, along with your favorite soup or salad.