A long day of writing articles may leave you feeling accomplished, but it may also leave you feeling pain in your wrists, neck, and back. You want to make sure that you are adding lots of great content to InfoBarrel, but at the same time you don't want to ruin your body in the process. There are many things that you can do to prevent the pain from coming and to relieve it when it is there.
A Healthy Lifestyle.
Most of us know that maintaining a healthy lifestyle while spending a lot of time writing can be difficult. However, you need a healthy diet complete with all the nutrients your body needs so that it can function at its best. Exercise is also important because it keeps your body in tip top shape and will also allow you to strengthen your back, core, and forearms for benefiting your writing online plans.
Your Office Setup.
You don't need a lot in order to be able to type and write articles for InfoBarrel. You can do it with a computer and you can do it with a laptop. However, it is important that you make sure that your body is in a position that won't hurt it in the long run. Often this is done with a desk and a chair, though it doesn't have to. Here are the things you need to consider.
- Your back. To avoid neck and back pain you need to make sure that your back is straight and that you aren't leaning over your workspace. This is easiest to do with a good quality chair. While the term "ergonomic" has been thrown out a lot to sell items left and right, in many cases it is a great way to go to make sure that you are getting the best.
- Your wrists. Here there are several things for you to consider to make your workstation the best that it can be. First you want to make sure that the arms of the chair are not too high. When the arms of the chair push your arms above the level of the keyboard it puts more pressure on the arms and the wrists. You also want to make sure that you have a keyboard and mouse that offer you a little support. Some newer designs make it easier for you.
- The desk. While not all of your work needs to be done at a desk it is important that you are typing at the correct height. You want to make sure that your wrists are supporting themselves and not laying down on the support structures. You want to make sure that the keyboard is in a position as such that your arms are at a ninety degree angle. You also want to make sure that none of your fingers are stretching or getting cramped in any way.
- Your Position. What it all comes down to is your position. You want to make sure that your arms are at the right angle and that your back is straight. It is important that you keep your back in the right position, don't hunch your shoulders, and don't let your neck slouch forward. It is also important that you plant your feet firmly on the floor or on a step stool. This will keep the blood flowing through your legs which is important.
Take a Lot of Breaks.
It is important that you take a lot of breaks. Every fifteen to twenty minutes you should stretch your arms, your hands, and your wrists to make sure that you are keeping the blood flowing well. You should also make sure that you are getting up and walking around every 2 to 3 hours (at least).
Massage can do wonders in keeping you feeling your best and making sure that you don't damage parts of your body. You can massage your own shoulders, neck, wrists, and hands to make sure that you are keeping the blood flow and to also make it so that you are relieving any pain that you feel.
Listen to Your Body.
When setting online goals it isn't always easy to stop when your body says stop. However, you really need to listen to it and take a break when your body starts hurting. This will keep you from causing damage to yourself.
Other Tips for Relieving Pain.
For those days when you push through even though you shouldn't there are some other things that you can do to help relieve some of the pain.
- Ice. By using ice in 20 minute intervals you will relieve some of the pain associated with the injury. It is important that you don't leave the ice on for more than 20 minutes and that you are protecting the skin from getting cold in the meantime.
- Heat. It can also be helpful to use a heating pad, hot water bottle, or to use a warming patch to relax the muscles. This is more likely to be effective in the neck and back, but can also be used with the wrists.
- Bath. A warm bath or a cool bath can make a difference as well. You don't want it to be on either extreme (hot or ice cold), but rather cool or warm. Relax for 20 minutes or so to feel the pain go away.
- Take the day off. Often times, people who write articles for a living or to try and work their way up find themselves working all the time. This is fine, but there are times when it is better for you to take some time off and give yourself a break. Be willing to take care of yourself! Remember that you are equally important!
- Supplements. Fish oil or flaxseed oil have been found to help with joint problems. One of these can help you with wrist pain, back issues, and neck concerns.
Writing for InfoBarrel is a hard job, but while you are doing it you need to make sure that you are taking care of your body. You don't want to run yourself out and not be able to continue on with building a passive or semi-passive income.