Slow cooking is a popular method of preparing foods. The following are the pros and cons of slow cooking.
- This cooking process recuires no supervision. You can throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker before work and come home and serve up a warm meal, hassle free.
- It can attain large amounts of food. You can cook for a crowd or make enough for leftovers.
- Using this cooking method is fast and simple because with a little preparation in the morning, a meal can be left to cook without needing supervision throughout the day.
- Slow cooking a meal is often healthier than other cooking methods. Extra calories are added from deep frying and added oils but a slow cooker steams the food, making it as lean as possible.
- A slower cooking process adds flavour to the meal.
- The slow cooking process tenderizes cheap, tough meats, saving money.
- It is possible to cook an entire meal in one unit, thus saving time cleaning dishes.
- Using a slow cooker to cook a Christmas dinner or other similar occasions is perfect because it leaves the oven free for sides and desserts to be prepared.
- Perfect for taking meals to pot lucks.
- The initial cost of a slow cooker can be expensive.
- When cooking vegetables, they tend to lose nutrients.
- If you have an electric slow cooker that does not detach from the plug, it can make cleaning it difficult.
- They are not convenient to take food in on picnics.
- If you put food in the slow cooker and then come home an hour late at the end of the day, the food being prepared can be over cooked and dried out.
- It isn’t always easy to convert normal recipe cook times to slow cooker cook times.
A great slow cooker recipe, for those of you wanting to try is Beef Stew.
- 2 pounds stewing beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup burgundy, dry red wine
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
- 1 can mushrooms, whole, (4 ounces)
Simply mix all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook for 9 to 11 hours on low or 4 to 6 hours on high. Serve over rice and enjoy.