Some might say that being a security guard is less compared to all the other jobs. But they are wrong. Being a security guard is a tough job and at the same time honorable because you are constantly risking your own life for the sake of protecting other people. Not all of us have this kind of feeling- the feeling of being responsible for other people.
Before you decide to get this job, you might want to look at the pros and cons of being a security guard.
- This kind of job is easy to find. It is already known that our world today has a higher terrorist threat than the previous years. All establishments, government buildings have hired more security guards to ensure the safety of the people who are working there and also for the people who go there.
- It is a stepping-stone to a higher paying services employment. Given that before you get hired for this job, you have to undergo all the trainings that being a security guard requires may it be unarmed or armed. Plus you have to get a license. This is an advantage for you to get a higher paying job like; fire fighter, sheriff, chief of police, fire code inspector, customs inspector and etc.
- You can be a hero. You will have the chance to protect your community or the property that you are hired to protect. You can stop robbers, thieves and other criminals who can cause harm.
- The salary is quite low. It has a lower salary compared to other jobs. It might be lower than the minimum wage in your place.
- You are constantly putting your life in danger. As a security guard, it is your duty and responsibility to ensure the property or community that you are guarding safe. You might also encounter some robbers or thieves.
- A lot of reports to write. Every security guard needs to write a lot of reports. You have to log and keep track of everything. You must have the capability to write well.
- You need to be physically fit. Being a security guard requires a lot of physical activities like walking when you are patrolling. You might also need to run if you need to chase some thieves or robbers, you need to exercise and lose some weight.
Now that you know all the pros and cons of being a security guard, you should weigh them carefully and ask yourself if you are fit for this kind of job. You can search the internet for more information about being a security guard.