Riding a motorcycle in the roadways of Los Angeles can be a pleasurable and great experience. However, it may also be hazardous especially when an accident, like a motorcycle crash, occurs. Motorcycle crashes may cause riders to obtain severe physical injuries and emotional suffering. Accidents like these may even result to death.
Motorcycle Crashes: Statistics
According to the records of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or NHTSA, there are about 4,000 people in 2004 lost their lives in motorcycle accidents and around 76,000 sustained injuries.
80% of accidents involving motorcycles are fatal, compared to automobile accidents which only have a fatality rate of 20%. Furthermore, there is an increase of 55% in the mortality count because of motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycle Accidents: Causes
Being aware of the various causes of motorcycle accidents may help riders and other motorists to avoid being involved in one, and may even prevent these serious accidents from happening. Below are some of the causes of accidents involving motorcycles:
- Failure of a motorcycle rider to slow down when making a turn or approaching a curb
- Weather conditions
- Unexpected Obstacles on the road
- Limited visibility of either or both the motorcycle rider and other motorists on the road
- Defects of motorcycle (especially leaks in the fuel system)
Motorcycle riders must be careful at all times as one main factor why motorcycle crashes occur is because of negligence of either the motorcyclist or the motorist or may be even both.
Motorcycle Injuries: Protection
Since there are times when accidents become inevitable, it is important that you are always ready for anything that might happen. In motorcycle accidents, it usually results in injuries. In order to reduce this, you should wear appropriate protective gears, especially helmets that may lessen serious head injuries which may result in permanent disability or even death.
Motorcycle Crash: What to Do?
There are instances where you have done everything on your part and practiced all the necessary precautions to avoid an accident, and still, the nightmare happens due to some other person's fault. In such a situation, you should know what to do. Here are some advices on what to do in case a motorcycle crash occurs:
- Call the police immediately
- Gather information from witnesses about the accident
- Do not leave the scene of the accident
- Seek medical attention right away
- Get all the personal information of those involved in the accident and also the witnesses' such as their names, address, the (other driver's) license number, insurance details, and other important information
- File a comprehensive police report
By following these suggestions, you may find it easier to choose an expert attorney that will handle your personal injury case. Having a good personal injury lawyer is very essential in the outcome of your legal issues and it is much advisable to carefully choose your aid.