This is an easy recipe for fish pastry
Why should we buy pastry sheets if we can make them at home? Homemade pastry sheets are cheaper and healthier, like store-bought ones you can store them in the freezer until you need them. So if today is another boring day or you want to do something new but don't know what to do, then hurry, let's make some pastry sheets and freeze them. The next time you want to make anything from pastries to deserts you can take your pastry sheet out of the freezer with a wide grin.
These pastry sheets can be used for:
- Dim sum dishes
- Pin wheels
- Vol au vents
- Cream horns
- Even mini pizzas
All the best!
Yields: MAKES 15 PASTRIES
- 25O g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 g butter
- 1 1/2 cups approx cold water
- Sift the flour 3 times and add the salt to the flour.
- Take some cold butter and cut into cubes.
- Put it in the flour and rub it in using your fingers. We should not knead puff pastry with our palm because our palm is normally very warm and this will melt the butter in the dough and make the dough sticky.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour 1/2 cup of cold water.
- Start mixing the dough using your finger tips. Do this till you get a nice dough adding more water if you need.
- Cover with a cling and leave it in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Flour a surface or a board. Take the dough out of the freezer and knead it with your fingers on a floured surface.
- Using a knife cut a small cross on the top and pull it out to make a rectangle. Or roll it just like on the video. (Make sure you roll the dough towards one direction)
- The rectangle should approximately be 20x50 cm. Roll smoothly without applying a lot of pressure. Try to make the rectangle perfect with nice edges.
- Draw 3 imaginary across the length of the rolled dough. Fold the upper section down and the lower section up.
- Cover n cling and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Roll the dough again to the same size and do the same.
- Do the same 4 more times.
- Now your puff pastry sheet is ready. (Watch the short video for a more professional method)
Video for puff pastry demonstration
PEPPERY FISH FILLING
- 200 g canned fish shredded
- 2 medium-sized potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato small diced
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 tsp. pepper powder (adjust if needed)
- 1/2 limes juice
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions and green chilli.
- Add the salt and the fish. Mix well.
- Add the mashed potato and turn off the flame.
- Add the pepper, tomato and lime juice. Mix well and check for salt.
- The pepper should not be added first because black pepper will darken the curry. If you are using white pepper then the curry will retain its color and it can be added any time.
- Lime should be added at the end because the vitamins in lime are destroyed if added to a cooking curry.
- Tomatoes if added at the beginning will peel and lose its firmness. Tomatoes should also be added at the end so that the red color remains making the filling colorful.
Now make the pastry to any shape you want. One method is given below.
Roll out the dough and cut in zig zag resulting in triangles.
Keep 1 tbsp. of fish filling at the bottom of the triangle.
Roll in down leaving the edges to jut out like ears.
Beat an egg yolk. Brush the top.
Flour or grease a baking tray and keep the pastry spaced out.
Bake it on 180 degrees for 15 minutes or till golden brown.
Time to take it out of the oven.
Add a dab of butter on top. The pastry will glow and look yummy. Keep it closed with a dry cloth till you apply butter for the others.
GOLD ! GOLD ! GOLD !
READY TO BE SERVED !
Why I Have used salmon in this pastry!
You can use chicken or beef instead of fish, but sea food is the healthiest out of the three. There is a huge variety of seafood, you can live on seafood for one full month without eating the same fish twice.
For this recipe I recommend any kind of fish, crab meat, prawns or shrimps. If you are fond of cooking squid, cuttlefish, octopus and the like go ahead, carry out the same instructions above but vary the fish.
Why seafood pastries are the best
Fewer people consume seafood today. I think this is due to the lack of knowledge on its health benefits or the ignorance in making tasty dishes with seafood. I know few people who don't like the smell, but there are so many dishes out there that smell so good and tastes too awesome, that it is actually sad to stay away from seafood.
Some people don't like the process of cutting and cleaning fish. Please guys try seafood a couple of times and you will get the hang of it.
Go search for fish recipes and begin your new adventure. Let me try to encourage you with a few benefits.
- Rich in omega 3 oils.
- Sea food lowers blood pressure.
- Rich in protein, vitamin and minerals.
- Vitamin found in seafood are Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, Folate, vitamin B 12, choline, betaine and pantothenic acid.
- Studies show that benefits of fish exceed the risk in consuming seafood.
I love seafood because I am a Sri Lankan (Island). We get all kinds of fish all around the year. The best fish eaten was when I used to live near the beach. In the morning after dawn prayers my father goes to the beach to get some fish. That is the time the trawlers come ashore and live fresh fish are sold to markets and restaurants. The fishermen sell fish to the beach goers too.
Once my father buys these fish, mama makes it for breakfast. They are the freshest you can get and the tastiest.
If you get the chance to visit Sri Lanka, you will see there are small huts near the beach. These are houses where you can get your fish cooked the way you like. All you got to do is, buy a rod start fishing and give this to the cook in the hut. they will turn these fish into mouth-watering dishes right in front of you.